iii. conspiracy theories

***

***

DUDE DUDE DUDE if i moved to an island by myself in the middle of the pacific ocean would i have 2 follow american laws or would i like b considered my own sovereign nation w my own set of laws As I type a very important question to Silas, I fall into a daydream about the delights of island life: no gross-ass Republicans for miles, the ability to drink liquor out of a coconut with nobody judging me, shirtless hot guys. The list is endless.

He takes a very long time to reply, and by that, I mean longer than thirty seconds. Cain reads the first text. What did you do? is the second. Of course Silas's initial reaction to that message would be that I snapped and killed someone.

I slowly slide onto the tiled floor, my back pressed against the back of a booth. A neon red sign reading Pasta Lavista flickers on the wall opposite from me, and chatter filters up from the main dining area downstairs. Nobody ever eats up here, so Rachel and I are allowed to sit here while our dad works. Atlas sometimes joins us, but he doesn't like having anything to do with the Villa, not even the legit pizza place. Rachel sits in one of the booths, absorbed in her studying like the nerd she is.

Rachel's this tall and lanky Chinese girl, and she's got thick and curly black hair and pale skin dotted in a heavy dusting of freckles, dark waves curling against an icy shore. Her eyes are the same hazel as our dad's, if a little softer around the edges. She's got one of those gentle, glowing, healthy faces that always seem to radiate light and warmth.

nothing. i just want to make my own country where literally everything's illegal and punishable by death. breathe and u get shot. ya feel?

...I don't feel Silas replies. Are you all right?

im fine im just bored I type back. entertain me

Me too. And I'm worried about Meredith.

still? The message sounds a bit harsh, but it's too late: I already sent it. In a panic, I send something else to soften it. did something else happen? have u heard from her at all?

No, it's just... She hasn't responded to any of my texts. And I tried to go to her house to check on her after breakfast, but nobody was home.

maybe she lost her phone. also, hate to be the one to break the news, but i think you might be a stalker.

What about nobody being at her house?

they probably took a spontaneous vacation.

They left their door unlocked.

u checked?

Yeah.

stalllllker. but maybe it was a spontaneous vacation so spontaneous they didn't even know about it until they were there.