Chapter 1

"Take him down!" Sam yelled, as Deeks moved towards Callen with the gun in his hand.

Callen charged, fangs bared at the tousled haired detective.

As Deeks shot him Callen winced.

"You missed," Callen admonished him, "That was two inches from my heart, had those bullets been wood and not plastic you would have made me stumble but not stopped me, Focus."

Deeks shook his head, "I'm tired Callen, the baby kept me up all night, we've worked a full day; I just want to go home and crash."

"I don't think that a rogue vampire will care." Callen snapped.

"I know, I know." Deeks held up his hands in supplication, "But five minutes?" He asked and Callen nodded and grabbed a towel.

"You know you are getting better." Callen acquiesced as he walked over to the bench and sat down.

Deeks grinned, "Well, gotta be able to protect the wifey and the little one." He grabbed a bottle of water and took a quick sip. "Kensi says she should be able to start training next week."

Callen smiled, "Good, I know she's been watching, but we need to get up to speed as a team."

"Matt is off to daycare starting monday and I know Kens is looking forward to getting back to work." Deeks told them.

Matthew Owen Deeks had weighed in at a healthy 7lbs 10oz when he was born and both parents had decided to add Owen's name as a tribute to the man who had been a mentor to Kensi and eventually a friend to Deeks, and was sorely missed. His white blond hair and deep blue eyes were a testament to his father's heritage, but the small birthmark in his left eye was inherited from his mother and he was the most important thing in their life.

Callen had been thrilled when he had been allowed to see the baby, for days after the birth he had stayed away for fear of the reaction that the parents would have to him being near their newborn child.

Deeks had called Sam, while Kensi was still in the hospital and had convinced Sam to bring Callen in to see their son.

Callen for his part had been wary, going so far as handing Sam one of the 'special' guns that fired wooden bullets, not just any wooden bullets, but those made from the white ash tree which would kill him instantly.

He had made sure that he had fed before he went.

Sam had told him that all the precautions he was taking were unnecessary and Hetty had agreed with him as she had handed Callen some of her 'special reserve' label blood she kept on hand for him.

Both of them had reassured him that both Kensi and Deeks were fine with him seeing the child and both promised to be there as protection for the boy.

Callen had instantly vowed to protect the child with his own life as soon as he had met him, with both parents nodding their assent they had named Callen protector of their child after Callen explained he could not accept the title of Godfather.

Now, six months later, Kensi was about ready to return to work and Deeks had been working hard at his training.

"Rested?" Callen asked as he looked up at the windows lining the roof area in the gym.

Deeks nodded, "So what's next?" he asked.

Sam stood up, "I need some refreshing on the hand to hand stuff."

Callen stood and then cocked his head slightly as if he had heard something.

"Ok, you and Deeks do some basic sparring I'll be back in a moment." he said and jogged towards the entrance.