Chapter Twenty-Seven

~Playlist: "Bloodstream" by Ed Sheeran~

"This is how it ends"

Annabeth's POV

I fall back from the impact of the bullet, hitting the floor hard. The wind is knocked out of me, and I gasp for air.

But I'm not wounded. The bullet bounced off me, just as Daphne said it would when I asked why I had to wear the jumpsuit. I catch my breath, and my breathing slows to normal. To Willow's surprise, I jump back to my feet. Her beautiful green eyes widen before narrowing. She scowls at me, but I'm not focused on her face: I'm staring at the small silver pin clipped to her collar on her shirt.

"You were always difficult to kill," Willow snarls. "But I think I like it better this way. Now, I can make it slow."

My stomach turns, but I refuse to show any fear.

"You've tried so many times to trap me, to kill me," she continues. "And every time, something has gone wrong. Why won't you just give up?"

With each word, Willow advances a step. I don't move: I allow her to approach me. I stay still, even when the gun is placed against my temple.

"Luke's told me all about you, Annabeth," she whispers, a smile forming on her face. "And my spies have told me things that only Daphne knows--things she hasn't told you yet."

What does she mean by that? What has Daphne been keeping from me?

As if she can read my mind, her grin grows. "Would you like to know? Do you want to hear why Esmerelda gave you that flower, and not the nonsense she told you? I'll tell you everything, Annabeth, if you come with me."

"Why do you want me?" I'm surprised at how even my voice is.

"I don't. Luke, however, is a different story. He made me promise on the River Styx not to lay a finger on you. What he doesn't know is that I don't need to touch you to kill you."

Fear ricochets from nerve to nerve until my body is humming. I give her a look of pure loathing, which she accepts with a mocking smile.

"What do you say, Chase? You can either die, or you can be reunited with your oldest friend. It's all your choice."

Darkness explodes behind her. Her eyes widen with fear.

That's the last thing I see of Willow before the darkness surrounds her, encasing her in a large shadow. I scramble to unclip the small cylinder from my belt. I press the button and aim it at the far wall. The small light emitted from the cylinder triggers a series of ropes to fly from small holes in the wall. They spring towards Willow and the shadow.

Across the room, Umbra smirks at me, twisting her hand to make the shadow wrap more tightly around Willow. The ropes bind around the shadow. With a flick of her wrist, Umbra causes the shadow to disappear.  Willow struggles against the binds, the ropes forcing her onto her knees.