Chapter 13

Disclaimer: I do not own the Harry Potter world; all rights go to J.K Rowling. I do however own my original character Nova Malfoy and her background.

Water filled her lungs as she thrashed around in its depths. Her petite arms flailed around trying to reach the surface as she felt herself sink deeper and deeper. Her vision became hazy as she screamed and cried; water burned in her lungs as her heart pounded faster and faster trying to salvage all the oxygen it could. Her head felt as though it might explode as black spots appeared in front of her eyes. Her limbs grew weary as they struggled desperately against the waves, her muscles burned as the current tossed her small body violently and salt water seared her pores. A rotten hand grabbed her ankle as she stared at it, frozen in fear and with one swift pull, she was whisked into the dark abyss of the ocean.

Nova tackled her blankets as she shot upright in her four-poster bed, gulping for air and frowning at the return of her old nightmare. Her hands shook as she recalled the day that had changed her life forever, the day that she had lost the ability to control herself. She sighed gently, her hand massaging her throat as it burned from a figurative loss of oxygen but her frown soon returned as she glanced to the other beds in the dormitory only to find them empty. Instinctively she hopped out of bed, her bare feet freezing as they collided with the stone floor. With her wand clutched tightly in her right hand, she made her way towards the door that led to the common room; a subtle tremor visible to the keenest of eyes. Fear clutched at her heart as the room grew darker and she was left in complete darkness.

"Hello?" She spoke out, her voice much more confident that she felt. "Is anyone there?" She asked, spinning around as her eyes caught sight of a shadow that appeared to run around behind her.

Her breaths escaped shakily as her wand grew unresponsive and slipped through her fingers, landing on the floor with a rattle. A loud hiss encased the room, ricocheting off the portraits causing them to tumble to the floor. Blood trickled from her ears as the sound grew louder and a disembodied scream erupted, tearing through the darkness. Suddenly, a hand clasped her mouth causing her to spin around with a fearful look in her eyes only to come face to face with young man. His dark eyes were almost mesmerising as they sparkled despite the lack of light in the room, his dark hair curled at the front and his jawline clenched, in the most familiar way. She knew him from somewhere. Her eyes widened as he placed a finger to his lips before pointing to the dark abyss in front of them. As she turned back, his hand slid from her face and rested on her shoulder causing her to tense. Her grey eyes flitted to the family signet ring on his finger, similar to the one that her brother wore but with a crest that she did not recognise.

"I don't see anything." She whispered, turning back to the boy that appeared to be a good few years older than herself. "Who are you?"

"A friend." He whispered, his tone gentle and charming." Look again."

Her eyes widened as she jumped backwards, her back hitting his chest as she felt her heart pound. On the floor in front of her lay a man, possibly around her father's age, that looked almost identical to the older boy who stood a mere inch behind her.

"We have to go." The boy rushed as he took her by the forearm, dragging back into the darkness.

"We have to help him!" Nova argued as she pulled herself away from the taller boy, who paused and turned to look at her wary expression. "What did you do?" She whispered, glancing back to find the body had disappeared much like her wand.

"He never wanted me." The boy responded coolly, confliction striking his features as he stared at her. "He abandoned my mother and forced me to live in that orphanage whilst he lived like a king!" Nova gulped as she took a step backwards, her eyes full of fear. "Don't look at me like that."