Saturday: Photographed (16)

Nelia
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I just barely make it outside before throwing up in the snow. Oriana follows just behind, leaning against the frozen wall of the lodge and hyperventilating.

"OH MY GOD," Dallas says hysterically, staggering to the edge of the patio. His hands are pulling on his hair as he's on the verge of terrified sobs. "OH MY GOD! OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGAWWWWWD!"

He sinks down to his knees and succombs to a moaning cry.

I can't get Cameron's pale, lifeless arm out of my head. The blood near where his shoulder socket should've been--the raw flesh.

I heave again, but I think my stomach doesn't have anything else to give.

I feel my sister's hand on my shoulder as she steers me away from the doorway and broken windows.

"Come on! We have to leave! We have to leave right now!"

"What about--what about the others? We have to tell them! Have to tell them that he's dead! That we're all in danger!" I stop short and grab onto her arms so that she's forced to face me. "Do you think Ronnie did that? Do you think that he--that he chopped him to pieces?"

I choke on that last part. I can't imagine anyone who would be sick enough to do that to someone.

Dallas stumbles to his feet, shaking his head. "We gotta get out of here. We gotta go now before he finds us!"

"We can't leave them!" I shoot back, horrified at the idea of abandoning the others in the sewers.

"We have to!" Oriana snaps, giving me a jolt. "That tower is our only hope of getting help! Once we make contact with the forest rangers, or 9-1-1, or whoever--we'll come back for them! Okay? We're coming back!"

I clench my jaw and stay close to her, bracing against the biting wind. It looks like that bad winter storm in Canada is already making its way to Michigan two days early.

Every bit of me just knows that what we're doing is horribly wrong. A part of me wonders if we'll ever really make it back. Who's to say that we'll even reach the watch tower alive?

If, by some miracle, we do manage to get back to the lodge, it will probably be too late.

Dallas whips out his phone and punches the screen.

"What are you doing?" I ask, raising my voice so that he can hear me above the wind.

"Calling for help!" he shouts back, but after a moment, he lowers his phone in disappointment.

"Yeah? How'd that work out?" Oriana snaps, shoving me toward the steps that lead down to the path.

"W-We should go get some scarves and gloves!" I stutter, wrapping my arms tightly around my ribs. We are definitely not dressed appropriately for this weather.

My sister gives me a sideways glance. "Do you want to go back in there?"

Dallas shakes his head quickly. "No! L-Let's just go! Ronnie could still be in there!"

They're right. I certainly didn't want to pass Cameron's...body parts on my way upstairs to our luggage. I don't think I'd even be capable of doing that. Not to mention the possibility of a psychotic killer lurking somewhere inside.

"Come on! Let's move quickly then!" Oriana urges us.

We huddle together and set off in the direction of the old church. The path that leads into the woods is now covered in at least a foot of snow. I'm not even sure we are following anything anymore, to be honest. The flurries are pounding us heavier and heavier, and the chilly wind is bringing tears to my eyes. It's a miracle I can even see my own hand in front of my face.