The Awakening

The first thing I'm aware of is my breathing. 

I've been so used to my short breaths hitting a dusty floor, creating a flow of dust particles and clogging my throat. This is different. With every breath in, there's a new, sweet smell that encourages me to continue breathing deeply. I sigh in content, unable to remember when I slept so easily and in such comfort. Probably when I was still living on the Ark, certainly not since arriving back on Earth. With that thought I bolt upright. Earth. Where am I now then?

I stretch my arms above my head, expecting to feel the strain of another uncomfortable night and the pain of moving my sprained wrist. Nothing. I smile in pleasure, I feel nothing but weightless happiness. I look down in mild confusion and notice for the first time the double bed that I am lay on. Bending down I breathe in the scent of the sheets, relishing what fresh cotton smells like. I throw my head back down and giggle, rolling over in bed until I'm lay on my front with my head in my hands. This must be heaven. 

Tentatively, I stick my legs out of bed and touch my feet to the cold hardwood floor. I wriggle my toes and propel my body upwards. The sunlight streaming through the windows shines onto a floor length mirror, where I admire the reflection. No more cuts and bruises or blood soaked clothes. My hair is shiny and clean, resting just below my shoulders; my eyes aren't clouded with fear or worry and the smile currently blossoming across my face is a rare sight. 

Opening the windows welcomes in a peaceful breeze that slowly pushes the white silk curtains, and leaning out of the window, I see a sight so beautiful it takes my breath away. Alie was right, the City of Light is beautiful. Because of course, that's where I am. The City of Light. Where everything is happy and pure and free. I close my eyes feeling the wash of air filtering over my face. The past me would never have stopped to appreciate a wind like this. That shell of a person was too preoccupied with dragging around her dead parents memories and carrying the burden of survival. This is much easier. No more pain. Just living. 

The flat that I've woken up in is simple in its white furnishings, the kitchen stocked with food and the wardrobe complete with outfits. I choose a white sundress that I can throw on, and slip my feet into a pair of ballerinas -- there's a whole city out there to explore. 

I can remember reading about cities while on the Ark, New York and Venice and London. Places where people could escape, become different people and have new adventures. This is finally my chance. I walk down the pavement and smile at everyone I see, this place is even more perfect than I could have imagined. Music blares out of a music shop and I make a mental note to go in there on the way back, before stepping into a bookstore. I breathe in the smell of paperbacks, fingers brushing along the spines as I walk further in. Back on the Ark I loved to read, I think. I push my thoughts back into my memories of space, but something isn't letting me. With a mental shrug, I let go and focus on the business of finding some new books to read. 

Directly opposite the store there is an ice cream shop. Stepping out into the road, the cars slow down and stop to let me pass. I can already feel the hunger tearing away at my stomach and in my excitement I burst into the shop. The scoop of chocolate ice cream tastes so sweet and so delicious that it is all I can focus on. So much so that I don't notice the boy barreling through the door until it's too late and I'm suddenly staring at my ice cream sitting on the floor. 

"Oh." I breathe in shock, before looking up with amusement at the boy stood in front of me. He runs his hand over his short hair, still staring at the ice cream on the floor before looking sheepishly up at me. 

"I am so sorry." He laughs nervously. "Please let me buy you another one?" His voice goes up at the end in question, his brows furrowing as he tries to determine how I'm feeling. I laugh off his inquisitive look and smile.

"It's honestly okay. All my fault, I was too busy falling in love with my first ice cream." When he smiles, his chocolate eyes light up and I can't help but smile back. 

"I know the feeling." He turns to the counter and places his order for two ice creams. "Wait." He suddenly turns back to me, eyes wide in exaggerated surprise. "Your first ice cream?" I nod, biting my lip to stifle a laugh threatening to escape, watching the boy placing a hand to his chest in pretense of shock. "Well then, you'd better do it properly."

"What do you mean?" I say, laughing and shaking my head back and forth in amazement, unable to remember the last time I'd spoken to a boy. He turns around and brandishes a towering cone filled with multiple scoops of different coloured ice cream and finished off with a flake and sprinkles. My mouth falls open in shock and in anticipation. He grins, following me out of the store. 

"Try that. I dare you to tell me that it's not the best thing you've ever tasted." He stares at me seriously, but with a hint of a smile breaking out on his lips. Obediently, I try the treat and blissfully hum in content at the explosion of flavour on my tongue.

"Okay. That is the single best thing I've ever tasted." 

"I knew it." He grins openly now, and it devours his whole face and his eyes light up, boring into mine. I grin in return and offer my hand to him.

"I'm Emma."

Taking my hand into his own, and giving it a light squeeze as he shakes it, he never takes his eyes away from mine.

"I'm Jasper."