The Date

After obsessing for hours over my appearance in the mirror, constantly changing my mind between jeans or a dress; I've finally settled on a compromise. A midi skirt, with a top. I give a twirl, loving the way the skirt expands and falls, brushing against my legs. Picking up my purse, I leave the flat, not even bothering to lock the door. What's the point in the City of Light?

My steps are light on the pavement, I feel like I'm floating down the street towards the ice cream shop. A grin appears on my face when I spot Jasper waiting outside for me. I can't help it, I'm just so excited. His hands are stuffed into his pockets again, a nervous habit? I breathe deeply, trying to contain the butterflies and walk up to him. I'm fully aware that I'm biting my lip, my nervous habit.

"Hi." I smile, cursing myself when I feel my cheeks heating up. Am I going to be constantly blushing throughout this date?

"Hey." He presents with a lopsided, goofy grin. And I know for a fact that I'm never going to get used to it. "You look nice." His eyes brush over me, and the heat in my cheeks gets more intense. Apparently I won't be able to stop blushing.

"You don't look so bad yourself." I tease, and it's true, he really has scrubbed up rather well. He's wearing dark jeans, a dark blue shirt and a twinkle in his eyes. It's going to be a close contest between his eyes and his smile as to which can attract my attention for the longest.

"The bar is this way." He gestures down the street and we fall into step alongside each other. There is a loud source of music coming from the street we head down, and my skin is tingling in anticipation. "Urm." Jasper sounds unsure, and pauses outside of the building. From the outside it looks like an average bar, or what I suppose an average bar is supposed to look like, but on the inside, the level of noise is monstrous. The building is almost shaking from holding the atmosphere inside. Jasper runs his hand over his head. "It wasn't like this when I came before." He laughs nervously. I shrug and open the door, immediately my sense are overstimulated by the sounds, sights and smells. The bar itself is plummeted in darkness, flashing lights highlight the people dancing everywhere and the smell of liquor is as strong as the musty, sweaty tang from the dancing.

"We might as well check it out." I don't want to admit it, but some part of me is drawn to the adrenaline buzzing inside. I order two drinks at the bar, and we find a quiet corner to sit down in. After a 5 minute conversation, we work out that we're both 17 and were both on the Ark at the same time.

"We must have kept missing each other." I shake my head bewildered.

"We must have, I definitely would have remembered that face."

I smile stupidly and look down at the table. When I look back up, he's staring at me intensely with his eyes and my heart skips a beat. A slow song starts on the dancefloor, and he grins mischievously before standing up and extending a hand towards me. "May I have this dance?"

I struggle to keep a smile off my face as I place my hand into his and let him guide me into the dancefloor. I place my hand on his shoulder and he wraps his securely around my waist and pulls me closer. My heart is leaping up and down in my chest that I'm surprised he can't feel my body shuddering. I rest my head on his shoulder, so that my nose is brushing his neck and I feel him slightly rest his head on top of mine. I smile in complete and utter happiness. My mind already memorising the way his heart beats, his body breathes and the feel of his hands against me. Then suddenly the slow song finishes and an upbeat, fast song starts. Reluctantly I pull away from him, and watch in dismay as the dancefloor fills up. My feet begin to tap to the beat of the song, and I remember the way my skirt flares when I spin. Taking the impulse, I spin around in a circle and let go of my nerves as I let the song takeover my body. I open my eyes, and watch as Jasper follows my lead and starts to dance to the new song. His eyes meet mine and he begins to laugh, I join in, something about the musical quality of it that makes it so contagious.

"This is what it feels like." He shouts over the music.

"What?"

"Living."

We grin at each other and I realise that he's right. This is living. I close my eyes, trying to capture this moment forever. The feel of adrenaline as there's nothing to fear anymore, no more pain. Remember the feel of a boy's eyes watching me. I wish it could last forever. But this is only one memory, this is only the beginning of a new life.

An hour later, out of breath, we find ourselves outside basking in the fresh air of a cold night and a successful date.

"Let me walk you home."

"Ever the gentleman." I grin as I gesture in the direction of my flat. His arm brushes against mine and I feel sparks ignite inside the pit of my stomach. Gently, he intertwines his fingers with mine and our arms swing together. The sparks now bloom into a fire, and I know that my heart is in serious trouble. I slow down as we reach the block that my flat is in and look up into his face.

"This is me." I sigh, not wanting this night to end. My eyes meet his and I desperately want to know what he's thinking. His thumb slowly brushes my hand, and that touch alone is enough to make my knees weaken and my heart speed up. "Unless.."