Prologue

Elizabeth sat on a wall next to the recruitment area and swung her legs. She was growing used to the looks she got, winking back at the various men coming out with victorious grins.

She watched a young man enter and smiled to herself. Who was he kidding? He was barely her height and he was severely underweight.

Dr. Erskine was inside talking to the nurses and Liz needed a ride home so she was waiting for him to join her. She had been dancing for Howard Stark at the World Expo and she knew Erskine would prefer for her to be back at the lab.

"You look lost." A man in uniform stood before her and she smiled up at him. He was clean-shaven and had dark hair. His smile held secrets that he dared you to ask him about and she offered him the very same back.

"So do the two lovely ladies you abandoned to come check on me." She laughed, smiling at the jealous ladies behind him.

"They have each other. What kind of gentleman would I be if I didn't offer you help when you look like you need it?" He asked and she laughed.

"I'm waiting for someone inside. He should be out soon." She told the soldier and his smile slipped.

"Ah, boyfriend?" He asked and she laughed. She couldn't believe he was trying to get close to her with two onlookers already.

"No, a colleague." She amended and he held his hand out for her to shake.

"Well, I can tell a brush off when I see one. I'll leave you now." She shook his hand with a laugh and rolled her eyes when he lifted it up to his lips and kissed her hand.

"It wasn't a brush off Mr..." She trailed off.

"Sergeant James Buchanan Barnes, but you can call me Bucky." He winked and she nodded, impressed.

"Well Bucky, my name is Elizabeth Martin but you can call me Liz." She smiled.

"Well Liz, correct me if I'm wrong but did I see you on stage earlier? With Mr. Stark." He asked and Liz smiled happily.

"Yeah, that was me. I've been filling in for one of the dancers who couldn't make it. Her husband is MIA." Bucky winced and Liz nodded.

"That's an unfortunate reality soldiers face." He sighed and Liz tipped her head to the side.

"Are you going out to kill Nazi's, Bucky?" Liz asked and Bucky frowned.

"I feel as if you're testing me, Ms. Martin." He said and she shrugged.

"Maybe I am, what of it?" She asked and he pursed his lips together.

"I've spent my life protecting the little guys from people they can't stand up to. I'd rather not kill anyone but sometimes saying please doesn't cut it." Liz smiled and stepped off the ledge she had been sitting on.

"It was nice talking to you, Seargent Barnes. Be very careful out there." She warned and he watched her walk away.

"Did I pass your test?" He asked and she smiled ruefully.

"No, but I didn't expect you to." She met Dr. Erskine at the entrance to the recruitment center and took the arm he offered her.

"How was your evening?" He asked politely.

"Good, Howard is always fun. As was my little soldier boy but I'm afraid he didn't make the cut." She sighed and Dr. Erskine rolled his eyes.

"It's okay, I met someone who just might have. The dawn of the little guy may just be coming." His eyes sparkled with happiness as he held his car door open for her.