epilogue

"I grew up in the 'hood around prostitutes, drug dealers, killers, and gangbangers, but I also grew up juxtaposed: On the doorknob outside of our apartment, there was blood from some guy who got shot; but inside, there was National Geographic magazines and encyclopedias and a little library bookshelf situation."

-Lupe Fiasco

"I'm outta here. Thank the Lord!" Avan heard his, soon to not be, neighbor shout as she stepped out her, soon to not be, front door. The eighteen year old boy moved to his blinds, knocking over the many research books on the windowsill.

He couldn't help but crack a smile as the woman danced to her car that seemed crowded with everything in her house. It's obvious she didn't want to make multiple trips back and forth to and from the neighborhood.

Avan couldn't complain.

This wasn't the place you wanted to live in, nor was it desirable to visit for too long. Someone was bound to bust a lick on you within a few minutes.

This wasn't the place to raise your children, nor was it favorable for parents with children, particularly young boys. Some gang member was around every corner awaiting that boy to initiate them.

This wasn't the place to have high hopes and dreams, nor was it advisable to have any goals. Something usually happened which resulted in your future resting in some pimp's hands or drug-dealer's trap house.

But that's unless you somehow escaped, like the mere two percent, Avan calculated, have managed to do.

The ones who kept their head above the water, so to speak. The very few who remained focused and didn't allow this neighborhood to drag them down. The individuals, like his uncle and older sister, whom fought against the statistics and made it out alive.

And as the tall boy stared out his window, he wondered what his next door neighbor--ex-door neighbor, did to escape the hood.

"Rodney, let's go!" The older black woman yelled at her stressed husband. Avan could tell she was driving him crazy from the look he flashed her way before slamming the front door to the empty house.

Soon, the car revved to life and then sped down the street, not even a trace of smoke left behind.

Avan wondered if she had to save every penny she had or beg the bank for a loan.

Maybe she took a second job.

Maybe her desire to leave that neighborhood was so strong that she just decided to live in her car.

Avan didn't know how she was able to escape but he knew there was now a bigger hope for others.

Ones that would have that opportunity to throw their luggage-filled hands in the air in triumph like Ms. Jenkins.

Ones that could race down the road and not look back.

Ones that had a hope at a future that didn't end in the grave or jail.

Ones that weren't Avan.

He didn't see himself joining that statistic, the mere two percent.

For eleven years this was the place he called 'home'.

That's the thing about 'home', it's where you reside and you don't just up and leave.

Though it seemed possible for others to escape, it just wasn't Avan's reality.

He wasn't a pimp nor did he sell drugs, the boy worked at a factory.

To him, that was beating the statistics, changing the inevitable. Everything beyond that was for the special ones; the two percenters.

So, he was content in his neighborhood.

The neighborhood known as Selfare.

A/N: SO IVE BEEN FEELING TERRIBLE AND HAVING TERRIBLE DAYS SO THATS WHY I HAVENT BEEN UPDATING OTHER STORIES BUT I WILL.

Anyway so this is an idea I came up with in the car with my co-worker as we were leaving a facility. I know, I'm wildt.

So yeah I haven't seen many Avan jogia stories which is a shame because he is beautiful and deserves more love.

So I will contribute and drop this Avan interracial fic!

Just a run-down, he's from the hood, Selfare, which was inspired by an actual hood my mom used to live around when she was growing up. S/o to muvas one good time!

Yeah so from that I just started writing and this happened!

Hopefully it's intriguing enough but y'all know I like to get to things right away and that's what will happen in the next few chapters

So if you liked it or if it seemed interesting enough, vote and comment pls and thank you :]

As always, I luh y'all and ttyl ♥️