Chapter 34: Part One

"I don't see why I needed to come tonight." Georgie sidestepped through the mass of bodies in the ballroom, holding tightly to the half moon mask that covered the left half of her face. The masquerade was one of the final events of the season, and the Countess of Ridley only invited the top tier of the aristocracy. Soon, most of them would retire to the country for yuletide activities and with them, Georgie herself.

But more than that, this night marked the event when her and the Viscount's bet would have ended. It appeared neither had won in the grand scheme of things. In fact, this was the very last place Georgie wanted to be. She wouldn't have been here at all if it weren't for her two companions holding her hostage, one hanging on to each of her arms.

It at least kept the sneering looks and sarcastic jibes at bay. Lady Charlotte was a Countess after all and Sophie...well, she had a way of looking at a person that made one cringe away with shame for daring to look in her direction.  A handy talent, to be sure.

Sophie and Charlotte had been single-minded in their intent in getting Georgie here, so now Georgie strolled alongside them through the ballroom, dressed as the goddess Artemis. A renowned huntress and protector of children.

Of which she was neither.

But Charlie and Sophie were nothing if not dedicated, putting together a last minute ensemble for Georgie. Her auburn hair was done in tight curls with buttons in the shape of crescent moons clipped in the tresses. Besides the mask, she wore a plain white sash clipped over a white gown and held together with a glistening pearl clip. The string across her right shoulder held her makeshift bow and arrow.

"Don't you, dear?" Charlie's hand was warm on Georgie's right forearm even through the layers of Georgie's gloves. The ones Thorne had bought her. They were soft kidskin and the only reason she could get away with wearing them tonight of all nights was because of the masquerade.

"I rather think you needed to come for that very reason," Charlie continued, chirping. Georgie raised an auburn brow in question, and Charlie grinned. "Because you didn't think you needed to."

"I have no need for a husband," Georgie answered, trying to squeeze all three of their bodies through a break in the crowd as they made their way to the refreshment tables. "Now that my betrothal has ended with the Duke no one could be pressed to care hide nor hair of my whereabouts. Quite frankly, after the season ends, I am going back to the country posthaste. There is nothing left for me here."

"Mmmm." The noncommittal sound came from the left side where Sophie walked beside Georgie. Sophie was dressed as the Goddess of War, and Georgie thought it fit the girl splendidly. Sophie's blonde tresses gleamed in the low candlelight and her gown was stripped with ribbons of silver that crisscrossed below her bosom and around the skirts of her gown.

"What does that sound mean?" Georgie asked. "Surely, you don't enjoy the entertainments of the season any more than I."

Sophie stopped in front of the refreshment table, picking up a glass of lemonade as she replied, "Nay, but as to the former, that no one could be pressed to know of your whereabouts. Now that, I find interesting."

Georgie raised her brows.

"You forget the night of the opera. The night I was escorted by a certain Viscount Thorne."

Georgie felt her back stiffen at the mention of that name. She pinned her gaze on Sophie.

"Judging by how stiff you just became," Sophie trilled, " I think you know where I am going with this. That man shares a deep affection for you, Georgie. In fact, that afternoon, Thorne paid me a visit specifically to nab your attention--"