Afterwards

I walk through the campus green, a big field of grass with benches where students play soccer, study, throw a Frisbee, or just hang out. I head towards Stevie B’s, a pizza buffet across the green. As I grow closer, I can see Talia, Nate, and Tara already waiting on me. They wave me over but I don’t walk any faster. I smile, breathing in the warm air as I reach them. They each greet me and I wrap my arm around Talia. I press my lips to hers and squeeze her into me. I pull away and we go into the restaurant.

        For now, Nate and Anna Grace are officially split up. It’s been a year and summer is creeping up on us. I’m ready to head back home. Maybe when we get there and stay all summer, something will spark between Nate and Anna Grace. They are both single. Nate and Tara decided just to be friends for now. They get along better that way. In fact, we all get along better that way. They just didn’t like each other the way they should.

        As for Talia and me, I have never been happier. I mean, I love the girl. Yes, I finally told her that I was in love with her a while back. Luckily, she responded with the same. Tara and Talia have grown very close which is good because they have a lot in common. They are both on the dance team together and we hang out a lot so they have gotten close enough to room with each other next year. I’m rooming with Nate, who else?

        My father and I have also grown a lot closer. He even shed a tear when I left for college. Elizabeth was a mess; she was crying and hugging everyone she could get a hold of. Not that I had a problem with hugging her. The whole family brought us here. I watched as Anna Grace hugged Nate for the longest time. Even over me! That was the first time my family met Talia’s. Her brothers even gave me a man hug before they left. They seem to like me which is great.

        Nate and I are on the soccer team here too. The guys are cool and the coach actually lets us play even though we are freshman. I don’t really miss high school. I feel like I’ve grown above it. I like the freeness of college. You can do whatever you want. It’s great. Yes, high school was a fun time for me but it brings back so many memories that I’m glad I’m in college. It’s just far enough away to get away from all of the memories in Oakwood. I will always love Oakwood but when I get to San Francisco, I can feel baggage just lift off of my back.

        I still miss my mom. I always will but I know that she’s always with me in my heart. She’s mostly what I think about when I go back to Oakwood. I try not to think sad things about her but she’s always on my mind. A couple times, I’ve driven by our old apartment just to look at it. Sometimes I wish that we still lived there but then I think about my father. He’s tried so hard to get along with us and if I still lived in those apartments, I probably wouldn’t be talking to my father now. Liz and my father have done so much for Anna Grace, Nate, and I that I will always be thankful. I know my mom would be happy for us if she was here right now.

        I feel Talia squeeze my hand and I glace over at her. She’s giving me a confused look so I pull her into me and smile. She giggles and we grab our pizzas. I follow her to a booth and sit next to her. I wait to eat until Tara and Nate sit across from us. I feel my phone vibrate in my pocket and I pull it out. It’s a text message from Anna Grace. I smile to myself as I read it.

        “Six Degrees?”

        Yes, we still play. Nowadays, we usually play over text message or a phone call. When I come home, we’ll play. It’s her favorite game. As we all know, she still loves watching movies. I type my reply and read it over before sending it.

        “Sure. Go ahead.”

        I slide my phone back into my pocket and begin eating. I glance around the table and mentally thank god for the people in my life.