Chapter 5

"Another one bites the dust," Kaela said to Alyssa as they reached the bar that had been set up in one corner of the room.

Alyssa threw her hands up in frustration, "I know right!? How is everyone finding their man but us?"

"Maybe you're not looking in the right places," they heard a voice say behind them.

They turned their heads toward the bar to see a curly haired girl leaning over the counter and assumed she was the one who'd spoken.

"And you are?" Kaela asked with her eyebrow cocked.

"Oh sorry, I do that sometimes, I hear people say things and then I say things...I'm Ava. what would you like?' she questioned, nodding to the plethora of drinks lining the counter.

Kaela and Alyssa glanced at each other momentarily before looking back at the girl who was looking at them.

She pushed a tip jar with her finger and asked them, "So how about those drinks?"

The girls reluctantly put their own tips in the jar as Ava began to mix their requests.

"I'm sorry for butting in, but what's stopping you? Besides your own limits, of course. Sorry"

"Well, the fact that we can't find them is kinda stopping us," Alyssa told her as she took her drink from Ava.

"Who are you looking for?" she asked her in response.

"She's looking for Sage," Kaela said while sipping her drink and looking away to avoid the dirty look Alyssa was giving her.

"Oh, he's right over there." Ava replied while pointing towards a less crowded corner of the room.

Both girls whipped their heads around to catch a glimpse of the boy in question and sure enough, there he was laughing into his cup at something one of his friends was saying.

"How did you find him!?" Kaela asked in astonishment as she turned to find that Ava had disappeared.

"What the fuck!? Alyssa! Where'd she go?" She asked but Alyssa wasn't listening.

She was still staring at Sage. She was feeling many conflicting emotions. Part of her wanted to just walk up to him and say something but a much larger part of her wanted her to just run. She felt her heart skip a beat as he looked up and locked eyes with her. She decided she should've listened to the dominant part of her and run while she still had the chance. Now he'd seen her. No. He'd caught her staring and for some reason she was STILL staring. To be fair, he was still staring too. Why was he still staring?

The corners of his lips lifted into a smile before he turned to one of his friends and whispered something into his ear so that they were both staring at her. She swallowed heavily before turning around and taking a huge sip of her drink. Oh shit! What had he said!? What should she do?

"Alyssa! What was that!?" Kaela asked her.

"That was me definitely making a fool of myself," she groaned before letting her head drop onto the counter.

"Let's get away from here, fast. Please." She pleaded with Kaela.

"Yeah, sure. Let's go back to the dancefloor."

Alyssa gave one last despairing sigh before sitting up and turning to give Sage one last glance before she tried to disappear in the crowd. Except he wasn't there. He'd moved and he wasn't standing where she'd last seen him. His friends were still there though and they were all smiling at her. One of them even lifted their cup to her in a salute before smirking and turning away. Oh shit. She didn't know what that meant but she knew it couldn't be good.