Triggered - Part 1

Disclaimer: this can possibly be a triggering one shot, so read with caution, please. It's also a long one shot, but I feel it needs to be. Stories such as these need to be known. And I intend to write this thoroughly.

•••

Matthew — 9 years old
Jason — 4 years old
Maddie — 2 years old

•••

"No, Daddy do it!" Maddie yelled, refusing the cup of juice.

Mackenzie gave up and rolled her eyes towards the living room area. "Tyler," she called. "She's being difficult again."

With a chuckle, Tyler got up and went over to see what was going on. There, he saw Mackenzie leaning against the table, looking pissed off, and Maddie in her high chair, staring angrily at her sippy cup, arms crossed. He laughed at the two girls and then picked up the cup, taking a seat next to Maddie.

"Come on, Maddie. Won't you drink your juice Mommy made you?"

"NO!" she yelled angrily. "Mommy juice icky!"

Tyler then twisted off the cap and put it back on. He put it down in front of her. "How about now?"

"Otay," she giggled, taking the cup and drinking.

"Are you serious?!" Mackenzie exclaimed. "It's literally the same."

Maddie ignored her.

"Okay, fine. You deal with her today."

Mackenzie left the room to go get her purse, but Tyler stopped her.

"Hey, she's just being a mini you. Calm down."

"A mini me?" Mackenzie asked, still fuming.

"You know, stubborn."

"Okay, whatev-"

"Hey, take it easy," Tyler said, pulling her back so she wouldn't leave. "She'll get over it."

"She's been like this since she could fucking talk," Mackenzie said to him. "The boys weren't like this."

"That's because they are Momma's Boys."

"Well have fun with your little Daddy's Girl," she said, then called out to their sons' room. "Who wants to go with Mom to the store?!"

Nearly instantly, both Jason and Matt were at the front door.

"I rest my case," Tyler muttered, then went back to Maddie.

Mackenzie got the boys in their jackets and shoes, then took them to run some errands. There wasn't much to do, but she needed to get out of the house for a little bit. She took the boys to Target to get the things she needed, then decided to take them to the park. She spent her time sitting on the bench, watching Matt chase Jason around the playground. He's such a good big brother, Mackenzie thought, smiling at them.

She got up to put Jason in the toddler swing, pushing him while Matt swung by himself on the next swing. Their laughs made Mackenzie so happy. It was such a perfect moment they were having.

Until Tyler called.

"Hey, what's up?" Mackenzie answered, keeping her eye on Matt as he ran up the slide.

"H-Hey. I need you to come home." He sounded distressed and really upset.

"Why? What's wrong?" She immediately thought the worst, assuming it had to do with Maddie.