Chapter One

Zane's breath billowed out in small clouds as he ran down the street. He noticed how loud his footsteps were, but he didn't care. Someone- or something - was following him, and he didn't really feel like turning around to find out who or what it was. All he knew was that it could be a human, or it could be a walker, and he wasn't sure which would be more dangerous.
     He didn't think he could run any longer when he saw a small gap between buildings. Quickly, he veered off the road and slid between the two large buildings. Zane shuffled sideways, moving further between the cold walls. If he was lucky, the thing chasing him either wouldn't fit, wouldn't care to chase him, or just wouldn't notice him.
     Zane tried to catch his breath, but he tried to keep as quiet as possible. The cold air didn't help his breathing.
     He froze when he heard the sound of the strange lurching gait of a smaller walker shuffling towards his hiding place. His hand slowly moved down towards his pistol, and he switched hands so that the pistol was aimed at where the sound was coming from.
     Right as he thought the walker was gone, there was a loud snarl as the small walker jumped at the gap. It slashed and clawed, trying to grab Zane and pull him back out of the gap. He just moved further and closed his eyes, hoping that he wouldn't have to shoot. He was already low on ammunition, and any shot could alert any other walkers of where he was. He realized how bad of a hiding spot he chose.
     He was cornered.
     Zane was tempted to shoot at the walker, just to get out and escape, but he wasn't sure where he would go. What if there were more, blocking both ends of the street?
     He looked up. He thought of climbing up the wall, using the dying plants and stone bricks to pull himself to the top. Suddenly, the noise of the walker stopped. There was a soft thud, and then silence. Zane looked over.
     The walker was dead, and someone stood over it with a knife. Their face was covered by a gas mask; Zane didn't have a chance to ask their name before they turned and bolted.
     Zane slipped out from between the buildings and ran after the person. To his surprise, the person was much faster-- about twice as fast. Zane hopelessly followed them, the difference in speed not stopping him from finding out who this person was.
     They looked over their shoulder at Zane, their stride wavering, as if they were shocked he was still chasing.
     The lack of breath from running combined with the cold air and made Zane's lungs seem to sting. His running slowed, first to a run, then a jog, a walk, and then stopped.
     The person ahead of him kept running, not even taking another glance over their shoulder.
     Who was that, and why did they help me and run off?

     Zane walked around for a while, growing more tired as the day went on. The chase had led him to a part of the abandoned town that he hadn't explored yet. He shifted the backpack on his shoulder and sighed.
     Sure would be helpful to have someone around... That was the first person i've seen in a month, and I couldn't even see them.
     As much as he hated to admit it, he didn't like being alone for this long. A week was fine. Two weeks was okay. But five weeks was pushing it. He guessed it was a good thing that the person was there. It just showed that there were other people out there, and that not all of them were bad people.
     Zane saw something drift past his face and land on his shoulder. It was small and white, and it melted the second it touched the warmth of his arm. He looked up at the sky. Snowflakes filled the air, swirling around his head in small spirals.
     He quickened his pace until he was running. He didn't know how long he would last out in the middle of the town while it snowed, and he didn't want to find out.
     He sprinted along until he saw a boarded up convenience store, one that looked well maintained- well, maintained enough to show that it had been used since the apocalypse started two months ago.
     Now... This can go a number of ways. I could go in there and find some jerk who'll shoot at me, or no one at all. Or I could keep walking and risk finding such protected shelter.
     Zane slowly approached the door, making his decision. One of his hands gripped his pistol, and the other reached for the doorknob. Coming to his senses, he knocked quietly on the door and swiftly held his pistol with both hands. He immediately had second thoughts.
     What if the person inside actually does shoot me? What do I do then? Well, besides die.
     Zane felt a wave of fear as the door opened, but it shifted to curiosity when he saw the same person as before.
     "You! Who are you?!" Zane asked quickly.
     They didn't respond, or move at all. Zane guessed they saw Zane coming and weren't surprised when he knocked on the door.
     "Hello?! I asked who you were!" Zane snapped, his curiosity turning into annoyance.
     "I thought you would come here." They responded. Zane knew from the voice that it was a male. But still, he was mad at him for not answering.
    "Who are you?" Zane repeated, annoyance clear in his voice.
     "It's snowing. Come inside before you freeze." The man stepped back. Zane rolled his eyes and walked inside, still holding onto his gun tightly.
     Whoever it was, they didn't seem to want to hurt him, so Zane allowed himself to relax a little. He glanced around. All of the shelves were empty. He watched as the man made his way across the store, pulling a key out of his pocket and unlocking a door off to the side that most likely used to lead to a break room. Zane glanced past him to see a room full of cans and other objects.
     "Are you hungry?" He asked Zane. Zane's stomach growled, as if in response. He crossed his arms in embarrassment as the man chuckled. "I'll take that as a yes." He started sorting through different cans.
     "Thanks.." Zane frowned. The only thing he had in his backpack was a few bottles of water, a small blanket, and some random materials he had gathered, like pieces of rope and cloth.
     The person turned around and walked up to Zane. Zane narrowed his eyes at him as he held out a can of some kind of beans. He wrinkled his nose.
     "Hmm? Not a fan of beans? Would you rather have a jar of peanut butter?" He chuckled, watching Zane examine the can.
     "No, this is fine. Thank you."
     "Are you sure? I have plenty."
     "I'm sure." The man gave him a spoon as well, then disappeared into the room. Zane looked around and saw a table in a corner. He walked over and sat down. A moment later, the man sat down as well with a small granola bar of some kind. Zane pulled down his mask and took a small spoonful from the can.
     "So... What's your name? Are you going to tell me now?" Zane asked impatiently.
     The person pulled off the gas mask and put it carefully on the table. He was tan, with pale white hair and sparkling green eyes. Zane's heart thudded, but he wasn't sure why. He suddenly began to wonder if he had put something in the can before he gave it to Zane.
     Just before Zane could open his mouth to say something, the person smiled warmly at him. Zane's heart sped up.
     "My name's Travis."