Yellow

Look at the stars,
Look how they shine for you,
And everything you do,
Yeah, they were all yellow.

Sometimes he wonders what he has ever done to deserve her.

To deserve someone who put him first, who saw him-- ALL of him-- and love him still. To deserve someone as beautiful and magnificent and so wonderful as her. This girl who's a literal star, with her brightness and twinkling, and mysteriously divine unknown things. And it was known how badly he struggles with words, and how even worse he fares with her around. He slips on the most careless things.

That was another thing. That girl knew how to melt a heart and touch a soul with mere words. He, for the life of him, can't even do that.

So he always wishes his gestures are enough.

He always wishes that just by looking at her, she'd know what he wants to say.

-- And by some magnificent miracle, she does.

I came along,
I wrote a song for you,
And all the things you do,
And it was called "Yellow".

So then I took my turn,
Oh what a thing to have done,
And it was all yellow.

She really was worth everything.

It was hard to get this schedule, but he literally fought tooth and nail for it. He charmed and asked and pleaded, and really, the first time he heard her favorites were coming to Manila, he was already planning to come with her.

(She's really intent on showing him why she loved this particular band, and he listened to her and understood exactly why. He always listened to her, anyway.)

He was supposed to ask her to come with him, but to his surprise she asked him first, eyes alight excitedly, followed by the teasing, "hindi kita iniinvite ha."

But the invitation was clear and the hope indicated. She blushed and started blabbering, but he cut her off with a laugh and a kiss on the tip of her nose.

"Syempre sasama ako."

Your skin,
Oh yeah your skin and bones,
Turn into something beautiful,
Do you know,
You know I love you so,

He imagined the teenage girl who had low self-confidence and downplayed all her achievements and her feelings.

He imagined the girl who verged on self-depracation, whose beautiful soul needed to be quenched, because for this particular kind of girl-- this rare particular kind of girl-- happiness isn't just bought at the tip of your fingertips.

And he could see, clear as day, how Coldplay saved her. And somewhere during those times they were able to find some quiet time with each other-- maybe that was in Italy, or a late pack-up, he really couldn't remember-- he vowed to himself that he'd always be there for her too.

He vowed to himself that even if a time came that she didn't need him anymore, he would still be there.

This girl didn't deserve to be alone.

I swam across,
I jumped to cross for you,
Oh what a thing to do.
'Cause you were all yellow,
I drew a line,
I drew a line for you,
Oh what a thing to do,
And it was all yellow.

He watched her laugh and cry and squeeze his shoulders giddily as she obviously enjoyed watching the band perform.

And he obviously enjoyed watching her. She was on tiptoes and was singing along, shedding all of that phenomenal star crap. At that moment, she was Maine Mendoza, 22, watching her idols perform live onstage for the second time in her whole life.

With a light squeeze on her own shoulder, he pointed at her and tapped on his own shoulders, mouthing, amidst the cheers, "sampa ka."

Her eyes widened, and then her eyebrows knotted, asked him if he was sure, and when he crouched down she swung her legs over his nape. He carefully stood-- she really was just a light thing-- and made sure she was comfortable and safe before turning his attention back onstage.

Much, much later, when he's viewing the pictures (not-so-subtly) taken, he would see how the music seemed to have enveloped her like it was rain.

Your skin,
Oh yeah your skin and bones,
Turn into something beautiful,
Do you know,
For you I'd bleed myself dry,

Trust me, Maine. I really would. You deserve nothing less.

Like she could hear his thoughts, she grabbed a fistful of his hair and pulled at it lightly. He looked up, meeting her positive beam.

It's true,
Look how they shine for you,
Look how they shine for,
Look how they shine for you,
Look how they shine.

Like how she always makes sure he's happy and fine and good and safe, he vows he would do the same.

As the song comes to a close, she taps his head and he gently lets her down, from her thighs and sliding up to her back. It was helpful that everyone was so distracted when the confetti burst, and with their angle anyone looking would just see him whispering something-- but he wouldn't be Alden Richards if he won't pull a move tonight. He kissed her, just a few centimeters shy of her mouth, and with sparkling eyes noted how she was surprised.

"Love you,"  he mouthed, eyes gleaming. She returned his smile and squeezed his hand in return.

Love you too.

Look at the stars,
Look how they shine for you,
And all the things that you do.

***

I needed an outlet to purge out that cheesy thing. I guess we can call this as a sort-of songfic.

Song: Yellow by Coldplay (did I honestly need to state it haha)

BUTI NA LANG TALAGA THERE'S MAICHARD TO MAKE UP FOR DTBY STIRRING THE WORST EMOTIONS IN ME.

All caps para intense. Lol. Hope you enjoyed! Happy #ALDUB90thWeeksary!