u n • t y l e r

"please open your bible to romans, twelve-"

  the pastor had become somewhat annoying to tyler for whatever reason. he just wanted to hear about the mission trip that was planned.

  they were originally supposed to be going to the dominican republic, but that was cancelled when just a few months ago, a tornado took out almost the entirity of east cleveland ohio. the pastor of another church, and the on tyler's family attended, had decided they would go help out before summer arrived, and heat washed over the now homeless families.

the brunet sighed, looking over at his mother and father who were happily watching the pastor speak about natural disasters, and how they were just a work of god to bring mankind closer.

it all sounded the same to tyler, that god did things to bring people closer, and that he was the most loving god, he cared for everyone.

"and finally-"

his head whipped up, and he stared at the pastor standing on the stage up at the front of the room.

"the mission trip. as you all know, a bus will be leaving after bible study tonight. those who are going, please be on the bus and ready to leave by five. dinner will be handed out at the motel you will be staying in."

tyler's dad smiled, somewhat proudly, as he looked over at his son, and the already tight church clothes became just a bit tighter. he knew his dad was happy he had shown interest in going, but he wasn't all too excited about it. doing the lord's work for him didn't sound all that fun.

  in fact, the only reason tyler had ever wanted to go was to get on his father's good side before he ran off with jenna to god knows where.

⇩⇩⇩

  heat stroke was the least of tyler's worries right now. they had arrived at the motel with no trouble, but the trip was exhausting. the brunet had spent most of the time texting jenna, saying how much he loved her, and how he'd bolt the second he got home from this god awful trip.

  but now, the cherry-lipped man was standing in front of the broken a.c. unit that belonged to room fourteen of ryan inn. also known as, a no-name motel in the middle of a broken down city, that didn't have working a.c in most of the rooms, running water, or a top floor.

  in fact, half of the rooms didn't even have a roof.

  that was fine, though. the church had a truck rolling in tomorrow with plenty of soup cans, water, and clothes for those who lost their things to the tornado.

  tyler sighed heavily, rubbing at his puffy eyes as he thought of what he could do.

  "sorry you got stuck with this room." a soft, somewhat melancholy voice sounded from behind tyler. he turned, only to be faced with the girl who had checked everyone at the church into their rooms.

  she had light brown hair, pulled back into a messy ponytail, with loose, curly strands hanging in front of her face and down the back of her neck. her face was smuged with dirt, and what looked like grease. she had a worn jacket tied around her waist, and a simple white tank covering her upper half. black basketball shorts and old tennis shoes finished off the look.

  "tornado just brushed this side of town. we were luckier than most places, but that doesn't mean we didn't lose just as much." she held out a shaking hand, to which tyler hesitantly shook. "i'm debby. my dad owns the motel."

  "tyler, and it's fine. i'll just sleep without the covers." he glanced over at the bed, lower lip cathig between his teeth. the entire motel was worn down, whether the tornado had done this or not. everything was crumbling, and the rooms were hot and reeked of, well, tyler had no idea what it smelled like.

  "sounds like a good idea. i'm trying to get the air conditioner to work, but i just can't figure it out. works in ever other room but this one." she sighed, looking somewhat defeated. "i'm having a friend come in tomorrow to help, do you mind if we sneak in and try to get it done early?"

  "no, not at all." tyler frowned as he moved to sit on the squeaky bed he would sleep in for the next few weeks. "i'd rather be woken up early and have working a.c. than anything else."

  debby snorted softly, but nodded in understanding. "agreed. i'll leave you to it, then." they both offered each other kind smiles before the tired girl left the room, and quietly closed the door behind her.

  the brunet flopped back on the bed, a soft sigh escaping him as he stared up at the popcorn ceiling.

  "it begins."

⇩⇩⇩

  816 words?? i'm impressed. and proud of myself.

  i have been dreading starting this book, knowing i probably won't write it all that well, but i love the idea so much.

  i'm going on a trip!!

  down to florida to visit disney since i haven't been in,, 15 years?? wowow

  either way, i will be writing on the plane ride down, and working out chapters in my down time (hopefully). i'd like to be ahead with this story, maybe a chapter or two at all times, until we reach the end.

  i'm not planning for this to be long. it's a simple idea, with a simple plot, and a lot of drama.

  anyways, it's 2:22 in the morning and i need to rest. goodnight, all. sleep well.

  -n 💕