Eighteen

Today was the day. That day, being Saturday. The Saturday that I was meeting Max, and nothing was going to plan. I tossed and turned all night, unable to get the worrying thoughts out of my head. At least I knew he was nervous too. But what if? What if he changed his mind after he saw me up close? What if there was no real connection, no real spark? What if he wasn't who he claimed to be? I had no way of knowing how things would pan out and I didn't like it one bit. I was a planner, I liked things to be neatly organized and I liked to know exactly what the plan was. This, this I could not plan and it was terrifying.

I woke up late. Of course I would, I had to be to the bakery by noon and I woke up at ten, ten! I frantically hopped out of bed, praying that my hair wasn't too messed up by my restlessness the previous night. I sprinted into the bathroom, realizing how out of shape I truly was and mentally telling myself to add 'working out' to my tasks in my bullet journal. I looked up at my face in the mirror and was completely horrified by the monster that started back at me. It had dark circles under its eyes and a mane that stuck up in different directions. Only after I jumped did I recognize the wide eyed monster as myself. Oh dear god. I quickly started up a shower hoping to alleviate some of my stress with the hot water.

By the time I had hopped out of the steamy paradise, it was closer to leaving time than I had thought. If there ever was a time for me to swear, this would be it. I dried myself as quickly as I could, remembering I had laid an outfit out in light of my sleepless night. Thank god for that. After hanging my towel up, I rummaged through the one cupboard provided by my dorm, in search of my blow dryer. After placing my hand on the cool plastic, I yanked it out and promptly plugged it in, reaching for my round brush as soon as the plug hit the outlet. I focused my mind on the rhythmical movements that was drying my hair. Place the brush at the roots, lay the strand of hair on top. Place the mouth of the blow dryer on top of the hair and push the two devices together before slowly dragging it down the length of my hair. After I reached the tips, I would roll the brush up about six inches before unrolling it, creating a slight curl. I repeated this over and over again, soothing myself in the repeated action.

Before I knew it, my hair was dry and I only had about ten minutes before I had to be out the door. I rushed back over to my bed and found my outfit hanging up off my wardrobe. I mentally thanked myself again for choosing something flattering. I grabbed the hangers and got to work on getting dressed. I slipped my legs into a pair of black tights before pulling a long sleeved burgundy dress over top. This dress hugged my torso before it pleated out from my hips to the top of my knees. I quickly slipped on some black ballet flats and hung a small golden chain necklace from my neck, it had a small golden bird attached to it and was a gift from the orphanage I left two years ago. Sighing away the memory, I grabbed my purse and locked the door behind me as I tumbled into the corridor. As I turned to corner, my phone rang.

"Lia? Are you there?"

"I'm here, Max. What's going on?"

"I'm parked outside the bakery. Lia, are you in there yet?"

"No, I'm so sorry Max. I woke up late and then my hair was a mess. I had to take a shower still and oh god, I didn't even put makeup on yet! Max I just left my dorm and I only live like ten minutes away but I-"

"Ophelia, hey, calm down. Did you take your meds?"

"Oh crap! No, but there's some in my purse."

"Okay, Lia, I need you to go sit down on a bench okay?"

"Okay, I'm sitting."

"Okay, go into your purse and grab the pills. Take them."

I searched through my purse and found the little container with my pills in it. I opened it and took the pills like Max told me to.

"Okay, I took them."

"Okay, Lia I know it's not what we planned but I think I should come to you. Okay?"

Oh god, I had no ounce of makeup on. I wouldn't be prepared I-

"Ophelia don't you dare worry about your appearance, I saw you when you were in sweats and on the verge of death, remember?"

I chuckled lightly, feeling the pills begin to work. "Yeah, I remember. Okay, I guess you can make your way towards me."

"Good, because I'm kinda about to park outside your dorms."

He, what? "You're what? Max! You were driving while on the phone? Oh god."

"Hey, I'm fine. I didn't want you driving like that, okay? Now what's around you?"

"Um," I scanned my surroundings "some trees? The back of the library is in front of me."

"Okay good. Hey Lia?"

"Yeah?"

"I see you."

I quickly turned around to face the direction of my dorms and saw a man on his phone. He smiled shyly at me and I jumped to my feet, throwing my phone into my purse and bolting towards him. All what ifs drifted away from my mind and swirled with the wind. He was handsome, tall, nerdy, and a hunk. Just how I imagined him. He was absolutely gorgeous and I had no clue why he was so nervous. He was perfect.

I dashed over to him and his pace quickened as well. I opened my arms at the same time he did and plummeted into his embrace. He grasped me strongly and I buried my nose into his neck. I began to fade into oblivion, filled to the brim with happiness. I felt safe and comfortable, more than I ever had.

"Hi."

"Hi." I giggled, pulling back slightly to stare into his eyes. Perfect, brown spheres starred back into mine. I made out the crinkles caused by his smile and I felt my grin widen.

"You're perfect, do you know that?"

"Really? I was thinking the same about you. Shall we take this date on the road, Ms.Grey?"

"That we shall, Mr. Thompson, that we shall."
I grasped onto Max's hand and my world felt the closest to complete that it ever had.