Chapter 9: Please Don't Leave My Side

~Chi's P. O. V.~

I pushed Levi away roughly just as his lips touched mine. "What the hell?!" I yelled, scooting back to the wall again. My head was swirling with thousands of mixed emotions. I couldn't forget the taste of him, but I wanted to; if I didn't, it would only hurt me even more in the future. "Can't you stop playing with my feelings?!"

His gray eyes widened. I took a shaky breath and closed mine before opening them again and glaring at him with all I could; but it took so much strength to not melt.

"One minute you're kind, and the next you're as cold as ice. I just don't understand. Why do you do this to me? Do you enjoy my pain and suffering? Because that's all I feel. It's... it's all I've ever felt for the past five years. Meeting you was fate, becoming your subordinate was my choice, but you know what? Falling in love with you, I had no control over. I fell for the compassionate and warm side of you, he one that comforts me and makes me smile. I fell for the side of you that made me feel... made me feel human." Levi's previous smirk turned into a frown. "You made me feel like I was wanted and loved... but it was all an illusion, wasn't it? That's not you, it's all in my head. That's all it ever was. Either that, or you're a bipolar bastard. I'm going to go with my first choice, because it just seems all the more true. It feels like it; I know that's what it's like. I'm sorry, I know that you're already in a relationship with Petra. I'm going to die alone anyways. Knowing it beforehand helps make it easier to numb it. It was already obvious so long ago that you'd never return any feelings whatsoever. I'm only a soldier of humanity who works under you. Just, please..."

I leaped out of the bed and headed for the door. "...Don't play with my head." Then I wrenched it open. Shivers still wracked through my body as I entered the hall and began stumbling towards the kitchen. When I arrived, my heavy lids shut and I leaned against the doorway for support. Now, not only my aching head hurt, but my heart did too. I clenched my shirt by my chest, trying the disperse the pain.

'Why does this guy have such an effect on me?' I asked myself. I could feel beads of sweat begin to form on my forehead. Running a hand through my damp strands, I grit my teeth to prevent them from chattering.

"Chi!" I heard Eren's voice cry out. My eyes snapped open to find that everyone was seated around the table in the middle of the kitchen, halfway through what looked like breakfast.

"Dammit," I muttered. I was too engulfed in my thoughts to notice them. Eren popped up from his chair and tackled me instantly with a rib-cracking embrace.

"You're awake!" he cried. Air began escaping my lungs, none returning. The strong arms wrapped around me were crushing me into his body.

"A - air..." I gasped. He stiffened and loosened me from his hold immediately.

"S - sorry!" he apologized with a sheepish grin, but it was quickly replaced with a pout. "Why did you have to go and put yourself in danger like that?! It's been two whole days since we found you!"

My eyes widened. "Found... me?" I repeated, astonished to hear such a thing.

"Yeah. Well, actually, Heichou is the one who 'found' you. When you ran off like that, he was panicking; it was quite the sight to see. He said he found you in the rain, soaked to the bone. We were all here and waiting for him when he arrived. All of us were worried sick, Chi. Your lips were turning blue!"

"Blue... huh."

"And guess what?"

"Hm?"

"You weren't breathing."

"What?" My eyebrows shot up my forehead as the rest of the squad watched him explain the situation for me. I was... practically... dead.

"Yup. Heichou was officially freaking out. He performed CPR on you, but you wouldn't wake up. He did it so much it seemed like he was going to pass out himself." Eren's face fell. "I'm sorry, Chi... I doubted you. I thought that you were... gone. I underestimated you." I smiled sadly to assure him that I was okay.