Petition

We, the members of the Wattpad community, hereby petition the aforementioned website to reinstate the Urban Fantasy genre.

Currently, Urban Fantasy stories have no category in which to highlight their own respective works. Instead, authors of such stories are often forced to submit to one of the following genres: Fantasy, Paranormal, Werewolf, Vampire, or even Science Fiction. Fantasy and Science Fiction often involves completely unique worlds created by the author (a literal antithesis to Urban Fantasy). Werewolf and Vampire tend to primarily include those creatures, generally with a focus on paranormal romance. The Paranormal genre typically features angels, demons, and other paranormal elements. While Urban Fantasy is often related to Paranormal, this sub-genre is generally more specialized than currently given credit for.

Because of this, Urban Fantasy stories are often lost in a deluge of those better suited to the aforementioned genres. As well, the "tagging" system is often misused by authors hoping to draw in readers by outwardly lying about the content of their stories. In turn, readers are required to exhaustively search through hundreds, if not thousands, of stories in order to find those which specifically meet the criteria for an Urban Fantasy -- a task which often proves discouraging.

For these reasons, we respectfully request Wattpad to restore the Urban Fantasy genre to its library at the earliest possible opportunity.

Signed, 

The Urban Fantasy Project 

*If you would like to sign this petition, please leave a comment stating: "I hereby sign this petition and would like to see the Urban Fantasy genre with it's own designation."