XVIII. Besieged

Xisholis was everything he remembered.

The city was almost as large as Tamaris, a hub for trade across the continent. It was fortified with thick walls and imposing towers, though it could barely hold a candle to Zaeylael's impenetrable defense. The stone was a dull grey, turned gold by morning sunlight as they approached. The walls themselves were scarred by hellfire and the fields torched. The closer they came, the more it became obvious that Xisholis was a city under siege. Perhaps at the moment there was no army assailing its walls, but it was clear that the defenders did not control the area. More than a few undead could be seen openly prowling through what was left of farm houses.

The Silent knew better than anyone what the defenses were like. There was a spring within Xisholis's walls. In times of great danger, water would still be readily available. But food...if they had been under attack for long enough, supplies would be running low. He felt a stab of pain at the knowledge that he had abandoned his people to this fate. On the other hand, how much worse would an enemy infiltrator at the higher ranks have been? An opened gate could have put an end to their struggle in just a night.

"There are demon-kith a ways away," Ekundayo observed, looking through a spyglass towards the south. That particular little tool had become more common after the Imperium opened its doors to eastern merchants. Demons had precision enough to grind lenses in a way that a human could not. "No banners, but their campfires suggest a good number...not counting whatever demons are lurking over there."

Dain gripped his horse's reins more tightly. He'd grown accustomed to riding over the course of the weeks it had taken them to get this far, but he was still uneasy. "So why aren't they attacking?"

"Licking their wounds, most likely," Ekundayo said thoughtfully. "I wonder how many men are left at the city defense. Whatever the case, we should hurry to the city. From there, we might be able to help them break this offensive."

"Provided they have the stomach for it," Lieren said lightly. "Perhaps they wish to hide in a hole and die like rodents?"

The Silent glared fiercely at the elf, not at all amused by the suggestion. She laughed. It was not an unexpected response, but that didn't mean he liked it. A moment later, he asked himself why he even cared anymore. It was probably Andraste's fault. She seemed to be altogether too skilled at making him care about things for his cynical part's liking.

"Andi?" Ekundayo said. "You're being awfully quiet."

As far as the Silent was concerned, that comment was the best summary of their entire trip. While she did seem back to her smiling self for the most part, Andraste had been worryingly silent. The air that followed her was thoughtful and her eyes were focused on the distance more often than not, particularly at when the fire burned low at night. The invisible weight was still there and sometimes the Silent caught brief flashes of sorrow in her eyes. He was not reassured even when she said that she was fine.

"The city needs us," Andraste said softly. "I can feel an elder fiend in the area, likely Kasadya or Gader'el."

A shiver ran through the Silent at the mention of his master's name. Even though he'd resisted once, he wasn't certain he would be able to do it again. He wanted to think that he could, but the doubt gnawed away at him. At least now there was Ekundayo, Dain, and Lieren to put him down if it came to that.

"If we coordinate with the defenders, we might be able to kill the fiend and break the siege," Ekundayo said.

Amusement flitted across Lieren's face, prompting a little smile. "Easier said than done, darling. That said, it's not a terrible plan. I would rather confront Kasadya or Gader'el now, before we tangle with the lovely Widow."