1- The Triwizard Tournament

GOLDEN PLATES AND GOBLETS GLITTERED in the light of hundreds and hundreds floating candles. The four long house tables were filled with chattering students who didn't seem to mind being wet from the heavy rain. They appeared to be excitedly catching up with their classmates who they hadn't seen over the summer.

In the Slytherin table there was a group of pupils who's catching up didn't consist of hugs or friendly smiles. It would've been very uncharacteristic as they had a reputation for their dark glamour. Seated in the middle of the group was a fourteen-year-old girl, disinterested in socialising with the rest of them and appearing as though there was something far more important on her mind. The girl was beautiful. She had light brown skin, full lips and her black hair was carefully braided. Her cheekbones were high and her face defined, yet the Alatea Vipera wasn't known for her beauty.

Alatea Vipera was known for her incredible talents. She was able to learn things faster than any student any of the professors at Hogwarts had taught and she could perform very advanced magic for someone her age. Her only competition were the records of the achievements of their Headmaster, Albus Dumbledore, from when he had been in school and some Slytherin student named Tom Riddle.

This type of rare talent would've in any normal situation gained admiration from other students, but Alta was deeply disliked by the members of the other three houses. She was disliked and held accountable for the actions of her mother, Rosalie Vipera, who was responsible for the deaths of many relatives of Alta's classmates. Rosalie Vipera had been one of Lord Voldemort's most loyal and favourite Death Eaters.

Her loyalty to the Dark Lord was also the only reason Alatea had been born. The Dark lord had requested his followers to make sure he would have continuing line of pure-blooded Death Eaters and Rosalie had wanted to fulfil her lord's wishes by creating an heir so pure and powerful she had resulted to do something which deeply disturbed Alatea. Rosalie Vipera had infiltrated a prison island where a very powerful, dark wizard by the name of Gellert Grindewald had been kept in. Rosalie had forced him to drink a strong love potion and she had managed to get impregnated by him.

A year after the birth of Alatea, Rosalie Vipera had been caught with other Death Eaters by the Ministry of Magic and instead of pleading innocence she had proudly claimed her loyalty to the Dark Lord. This act of loyalty had given her a life sentence in Azkaban. This act was the reason Alatea had grown up abused in a muggle orphanage, no idea why she was able to hurt people she didn't like, open locked doors, control animals and sense if someone was lying. It wasn't until three-years ago in October, on her eleventh birthday, when she had a visitor come to the orphanage and inform Alatea she was a witch, that it all made sense. This visitor had been Professor Snape, who would end up being her Head of the House as almost a year later she finally got to attend Hogwarts and was sorted into Slytherin.

Alta cast her different coloured eyes, one a light shade of brown and one grey, at the group of people gathered around her. They were the only ones who knew who her father was since their parents had been Death Eaters as well. Unlike Rosalie Vipera, they had claimed innocence on the grounds of being bewitched or seeing the errors in their ways after the Dark Lord had been defeated and stayed with their families. This of course was shameful compared to what Rosalie had done. This and the fact they assumed Alta would one day grow to be as powerful as Gellert Grindewald was the reason why the former Death Eaters and their children treated Alatea with the respect reserved for a person of authority. They were intimidated by her.

Alatea didn't really care for them the way friends would for one another. She regarded them more as associates than friends. Except for Coral Avery, as she was the only person out of the children of Death Eaters in Hogwarts who didn't seek Alatea's company because of her mother's status among the Death Eaters or her magical skills. Coral, who sometimes seemed too kind and naive for her own good, only had ever wanted to be Alatea's friend.