Part Three: The Wait

She sat alone, shivering slightly from the cold desert wind and stared blankly ahead. The hard, white ground beneath her feet shone beautifully in the firelight as did her dark brown eyes, reflecting the yellow flames.

"Hey..."

She looked up, startled, as her unofficial boyfriend took a seat on a bamboo stool beside her, not before moving it as close to hers as possible. Like always, she stared at him. As creepy as that sounds, she could never get tired of looking at him.

Thinking that her stare was questioning, he smirked and defensively explained his actions, "what? It's cold. The closer the cosier remember?"

She shook her head, "no it wasn't...I was just...nevermind."

His usual toothy grin replaced his uncharacteristic smirk, "too lost in my handsome face?"

She scoffed but didn't reply.

They continued to sit there in silence as he texted his mother and she surrounded herself with the thoughts of her late friend, like she had for the past few months. He was always at the back of her mind.

"You're thinking about him aren't you?"

She didn't bother to say anything, completely aware that he won't accept any lie she'd try to feed him. This boy knew her far too well.

He sighed and lifted her jean-clad legs, draping them over his own jean-clad thighs and shifted closer, wrapping his arms around her sides. His chin rested on her shoulder and his mouth was right beside her ear, warm breath fanning the surface of her neck.

She shivered again. But this time, it wasn't the desert wind.

"You need to stop blaming yourself," came his deep grumble. "You're not responsible for his actions."

"Ki...I..." Her voice shook with barely suppressed sobs.

"Shh..." Lightly, he kissed the shell of her ear, then the hairline  above it and then the corner of her eye, lingering there for a while, as if wanting to prevent her tears from falling. His butterfly kisses felt comforting. They were warm. They were calming.

His lips continued to press lightly all over her face until her sobs died down. Silence enveloped them, broken only by the crackling of flames.

"Have you checked your e-mail yet?" he asked, once he was sure that she had regained her composure.

"No, I'm afraid it'll...I'm afraid of what it might contain."

"I understand," he said quickly. "But waiting for another five months won't change his last message for you. Reading it now, however, might make it easier to move on."

She could hear the truth in those words, so loud and clear that it was hard to deny. It was perhaps that glaringly obvious fact which made her reach out for her phone in her pocket.

With an encouraging nod from him, she opened her rarely used G-mail inbox. Beneath the notifications of her long-forgotton Facebook account was the e-mail from a person she won't ever see again. Clicking on it she scanned the eight words, their meaning hitting her painfully hard in the gut.

"I'm sorry I cannot be fine anymore."

{[]}

Hello awesome people!!

The third part of this book has officially begun. Nine more chapters of Ashiana's journey and then the bittersweet goodbye...

Anyway, if you liked this sneak-peek then please,

VOTE

COMMENT

SHARE

FOLLOW

Make sure you smile today!!

Ads :)