Chapter Twenty-Two

My vision abruptly went black when a warm pair of hands covered my eyes, causing me to go blind. I started, sucking in a breath of surprise. Someone let out a low chuckle from behind me. "Guess who?"

Immediately I recognized his voice. "Arden?"

"Bingo."

I paused for a moment, waiting for Arden to pull his hands away from my face. When he didn't, I frowned. "Are you going to remove your hands?"

"When I do, don't look until I tell you to," he responded, pulling his hands away.

"Why?

"Just because."

Bemused, I did as he commanded, keeping my eyes shut. Arden was humming to himself as he proceeded to do whatever he had planned. After a few moments of silence, the sound of something being placed on my desk broke it.

"Okay, done," Arden told me. "Open your eyes and look down."

My eyes snapped open and my gaze dropped to my desk. Lying on top of my planner was a small black box. Arden was grinning at me when I turned back to him, furrowing my eyebrows. "What is it?"

"Open it," he told me excitedly. "It's a gift!"

"A gift?" I echoed in surprise, picking up the small box. "Why?"

Arden waved his hand. "Don't worry about it. Just think of it as an early Christmas present— or are you Jewish?"

"I'm not Jewish," I told him, still holding the closed black box. My fingers drummed on the outside nervously. Why did Arden get me a gift?

"Open it!" Arden repeated urgently. "Come on!"

I smiled at his eagerness. "Okay, okay. You do realize it's weird buying a present for your teacher, right?"

"This is a present between friends. Not pupil and teacher."

When I took off the cover of the box, my eyes widened in surprise. Inside was a silver necklace with a pendant made out of what I assumed to be Emerald— although I hoped it was some knock-off gem. My gaze returned to Arden, who was still grinning like the Cheshire cat.

"You got me a necklace?" I stated in disbelief. "Arden, why—"

Arden cut me off. "I didn't buy it."

"Did you steal it?"

Arden pursed his lips at me. "No. I don't steal things. That was my grandma's."

My mouth dropped open. Immediately I dropped the necklace back into the box and pushed it towards Arden. "I can't take it."

He firmly put his hand on mine, pushing it back. "Yes, you can. And you are. Harley, do I look like the type to wear such a girly necklace?"

"This is your grandma's!" I argued, straightening my arm. "I'm not taking it!"

"Just take it!"

"No!"

"It's rude not to accept a gift!"

"But it's your grandma's—"

Arden gave me a hard look. "Harley, I want you to have it. Please. I won't wear it and I'm afraid I'll lose it."

I gave him a helpless look. "But Arden..."

"It's just a gift, Harley," Arden said in exasperation. "It's not like I'm asking you to marry me. Think of it as... proof of our friendship?" He raised an eyebrow.