Chapter 18: Beneath The Mask

« I believe that Martin Luther King's Dream will come true one day, Uncle Jim... it will happen. Soon, I hope ».

The sponge which I was using to clean the table from the cake crumbs that were scattered on it suddenly stopped its rubbing movements, as if it had a will of its own.

Without realising what I was doing, I raised my eyes and locked them onto John's face.

He sat just a small distance from my spot, immersed in a deep conversation with Uncle Jim. He was unaware of the fact that his last words about Martin Luther King had drawn my attention to him.

The shadow of sadness was still apparent on every single feature of his face. But, at the same time, he looked surprisingly calm and composed.

Since we had joined the boys back in Paul's house, after the moment we had spent outside, John seemed to be back to his normal self.

I had seen him and Paul sitting together, crafting a couple of new songs. I had heard him sharing his thoughts with the boys on various topics, ranging from the latest trends in American Rockn'Roll music to how beautiful and sexy he thought Brigitte Bardot was.

I had heard the few witty jokes that he had cracked, making Paul, George, Ringo, and Uncle Jim burst into laughter.

While I was washing the dishes in the kitchen – hoping I wouldn't get caught by Paul or Uncle Jim in the process –I had also grasped a few words from John's passionate review of Chuck Berry's latest album - Chuck Berry in London -, that had released a few months ago. Knowing that he practically idolised Chuck Berry, it was no wonder that John loved every song on this album.

He had also sung the first lines of one particular song from that album – it was called Why Should It End This Way -, in an apparent nonchalant manner, just like he could have hummed any random song:

If I should lose you it would hurt so bad

You are the only love that I've had

Tell me why

Why Should It End This Way?

And my heart had instantly sunken.

Although he didn't want to let it show, I knew that these lines resonated in a particularly painful way in his heart now, regarding the incident that had happened less than one hour ago with Barbara.

« I'm waiting for the day Martin Luther King's Dream becomes reality, son. The day when Black people and White people will have equal rights... We'll live in a more peaceful world», Uncle Jim answered John, softly.

« You're right, Uncle», John nodded at Uncle Jim's words.

«Well, I don't want to be mean here, but I sometimes feel that even we, Liverpudlians, are not open-minded enough when it comes to race relations and understanding. Which I find quite hypocritical because most of us have roots that are not in Liverpool or even in England, for that matter. Look at us for example, Uncle. My grandfather was Irish. And I believe your family has strong links with Ireland and Scotland as well, am I not right? »

Uncle Jim nodded in approval: « Yes, son. Both of Paul's mother's parents were born in Ireland, while I have Irish and Scottish ancestors as well »

« And both of you built a beautiful family together », John said.

His words instantly brought a smile to Uncle Jim's face.

« Thank you, son », Uncle Jim said, clearly touched by John's words.

John softly smiled at Uncle Jim.

« I believe that's the beauty of it all, Uncle... People from different cultural backgrounds come together, building friendships with one another, falling in love with each other, starting families... Relationships are all that matter ».