Part Two "The Standing Stones"

After a fortnight of travel through the northern forests of the New Wandar Province, the weary companions were starting to get on each other's nerves. Spring was just beginning in the southern lands, but up here in the north lands it was still some ways off. So not only were the days short and cold but the nights were long and even colder. Soon all of that would change as the forest hurried to take advantage of the short growing season with ferns bursting from the forest floor while trees and shrubs filled with leaves. Animals would be quickly trying to put enough food away before the next long night of winter. But for now it was all the travelers could do to find a patch of ground clear enough of snow for a campsite so they could keep somewhat warm until the next day.

It did not help that the howling of wolves was becoming constant at every sundown putting everyone on edge. Natalia started assigning four-hour guard shifts during the night which made them not only cold, but also tired throughout the days. She grew fearful of the Grim Wolves getting bolder the closer to the Snow Forest they traveled. She had never heard of them attacking a band of people on War Horses with Tundra Wolves along, but then she had never heard of such large packs this far south either. Things were changing up here in the north, and that was no doubt why WizLoke sent them on this journey. However, they were just supposed to spy on the doings and movements of their ancient enemy the Druids Bane, not fight off roving packs of Grim Wolves.

"Are you sure we are going the right way Nat?" Kaleb asked one morning after a small breakfast. "None of us have ever heard of these 'standing stones'. And how can a bunch of rocks protect us from wolves anyhow? I say we head for the nearest village until these wolves move on."

"I'm afraid we are far, far away from any village, or any kind of farm or cabin for that matter," Natalia said. "And I never said that the stones could protect us, I only said they were the best place for us to go. I've camped at the standing stones many a time with my father and whatever protection they gave I think left them a long time ago with the ancients who built them. However, you do get a sense of restfulness when you're there. The meadows around them stay clear of trees for some reason, and the grass is always short giving clear shots with our bows if the wolves do attack."

"Well, I hope we have enough arrows," Kaleb said. "It sounds as if more and more wolves are on our trail every night. How far is it to your uncle's house from these stones anyway? If we can make it there that is."

"Kaleb, don't be an ass!" Alvari said. "Natalia is doing everything she can, and you volunteered to come on this journey, in case you don't remember!"

"That's ok Alvari. I'm a bit afraid too," Natalia said. "It will take us a week of hard riding to get to my uncle's cabin from the stones, as long as there is no sudden snow melt. I don't think there is much chance of that."

"I am not afraid!" Kaleb said giving Alvari an angry glance. "It's just...this is not how I pictured my death to be!" he walked away and began loading the pack horses. He may have not been afraid, but that comment from Natalia had shut him up.

"He planned on dying gloriously in battle on a burning Sea Lord ship," Kal said quietly as he walked by her and Alvari carrying a load to tie on the horses.

As they rode forth that day Natalia told them everything she knew about the standing stones. Her father had been taking her to them almost every summer since she was a little girl, so she knew them well. They always stopped there when they traveled to her uncle's place in the Snow Forest. Both loved the stone site and would often camp there a few extra days because of the excellent hunting in the surrounding forest. Also because they would feel very rested and refreshed after a few nights of sleep within the ring of stones.

There were two standing stone sights on the southern edge of the Snow Forest, one in a lower meadow and the other higher up on top of a hill in a meadow of its own. Trees did not grow around the stones nor on the wide path between the two sites, just grass which only grew to about knee high and was always a beautiful emerald green. She had never seen the meadows in the winter months, but her father had and told her even with snow deep in the forest around the meadows the grass was never covered. He thought some ancient magic was still at work keeping the meadows green all the time.