Chapter 19

Did i ever tell you how much i hate hospitals. All the white walls and all the sappy people walking around like zombies.

I woke up and looked around. I was plugged up to at least ten machines. I looked and saw Axel asleep with his head on the bed and his hand in mine.

I tried to say something but i couldn't. It was like something mentally blocking me from speaking. The only thing that came out was a squeaking noise.

I moved my hand and Axel groaned. I jerked it again and he shot up. He looked like shit. He had bags under his eyes and even had a little beard going. His clothes were wrinkled and his hair was messy.

He smiled and sat on the edge of the bed. "Hey sunshine."

My eyes filled with tears and he pulled me into him. I guess the doctors heard my machine and they all came running in. Lou had two coffees in her hand and her eyes filled with tears as she saw me awake.

She pulled me out of Axel's arms and into hers. "It's ok baby girl. It's ok."

The doctor stood awkwardly at the door. "I'm sorry to intrude but i figure i should update her on her condition."

I nodded. He gave a small smile. "You have a major concussion. In a few hours you'll be able to talk and everything will go back to normal.Your knee was crushed. We rushed you into emergency surgery and took out all the crushed bone and fixed it up. You will have a slight limp. You are also expected to start physical therapy tomorrow. I'm sorry this happened to you Miss. But we are going to try our best to get you almost a 100%."

I sniffled and whipped the tears away as the doctor left. Lou handed me a white board and an expo marker.

"What happened?"

Lou sighed. "Jake charged at you and reared. When he came down it was on your head and then he stepped on your knee."

I nodded and looked at Axel. He had moved to the chair to give us some space. Lou followed my gaze and sighed.

"Ill be outside."

She kissed my forehead and hugged Axel, whispering something in his ear.

I looked at my knee and saw it in a brace.

"How long had i been out?"

He sighed. "3 weeks and 2 day. I got the call when i came back from a ride. My manager had Satan shipped back home ass soon as i left. I didn't have time. Lou was hysterical. At the time the doctors didn't think you would wake up."

I just stared at him. Three weeks ago we were fighting and he was half way across the earth. My eyes started tearing up and I pulled him to me. He rested his chin on my head and wrapped me in his arms.

"How is Alcatraz?"

He snorted. "He's mad. No one can touch him except Lou and that's just to feed him and clean his stall. As for Jake, his owners took him back and decided to keep him with the cows as a pasture horse."

I nodded and gripped him tightly."

"I'm not going back Emily. Ever. That's not my life. Im so sorry Em. I wasn't their to save you."

I sniffled and wiped the tears away. I heard a knock on the door and in came Sarah and Drake with flowers.

I smiled at them. Sarah came over and gave me a little hug since i was still in Axel's arms.

Drake gave me a smile. "Hey kid. You look like shit."

I smiled at him. Drake was the kind of person to make anyone laugh in any situation.

I rolled my eyes. "You would too asshole."

Axel sensed that i need time alone with Sarah so he kissed my forehead and dragged Drake out the ring.

I smiled at her and she sighed. "I was so scared Emily. You don't realize how bad it was. We got here and Axel fell apart. He was on the floor sobbing while Lou held it together. I know it's hard but it will be ok. You'll ride again and talk again. They even let you keep your spot on the team and they sent all their best wishes."

I leaned my head back against the pillow and closed my eyes. Damn i wished this was a dream.

...............................

I left the hospital 4 days later. I couldn't walk that well and had the help of crutches. I had learned a lot of sign language and Axel, Sarah, and Lou had learned too.

Axel carried my bags and Lou helped me hobble to the car that was parked infront of the building. Axel opened the front door for me and picked me. My crutches were thrown into the back and Lou got into the driver's seat.

The ride home took forever. My knee ached from being cramped and i was aggravated. Lou pulled up to the house and I saw Ben's truck infront of the barn.

Axel handed me my crutches and i instantly hobbled to the barn. Lou laughed and Axel followed closely behind. The stalls were spotless and everything had been done. The barn was even clean. I hobbled to Alcatraz's stall and he squealed when he saw me. I smiled and carefully entered his stall.

I wrapped my arms around his neck and he nuzzled me. Tears fell out of my eyes and he sighed. Even though i couldn't talk to him, he seemed to know exactly what i meant.

"It's ok boy. I'm home now."

I heard the stall door open and arms wrapped around me. I turned into Axel and wrapped my arms tightly around him.

"You can still make the games Em."

I nodded. The games were in 4 weeks and i couldn't ride for 6. I never listened to anything therefore I was going to ride.

I kissed Alcatraz goodnight and Axel helped me inside. I waved at been and he smiled at me and welcomed me home.

Storm sat on the steps and i smiled. I ruffled her fur and kissed her head. Lou had went to bed so Axel carried me up the stairs.

He set me down and i quickly changed into a tee shirts and softies.

I slowly crawled into bed and Axel went to leave. I grabbed his arm.

"Stay."

He nodded and stripped out of his jeans and changed out of his shirt. He got into bed beside me and i instantly curled into him.

He chuckled. "I love you emily."

I smiled. Maybe it wouldn't last forever but i was willing to give it a try.