eleven.

WASHINGTON D.C.
2014

SITTING before the National Security Council with two dozen cameras and tens of photographers zeroed in on her was enough to make June want to vomit. Her body twitched with the urge to hide from the world that was watching so eagerly to witness the final judgments of the country's newest vigilantes, one of which had been considered a hero not two years before.

Somehow, Natasha's presence was reassuring. June let the Black Widow handle most of the council's questions, admiring the quiet unabashedness she held about her.

Most of June's thoughts lingered on Bucky, for distant reasons she could not fathom and did not care to. His eyes stayed with her, no matter what she did to forget them. But June had never before forgotten Barnes' gaze, and doubted sincerely she ever would. A chill had settled at the base of her spine, her mind foggy and unresponsive to the buzzing courtroom.

"Agent Romanoff," continued Investigator Bernard Scudder, a gaunt-faced, sunken-eyed man sitting stiffly at the head of the ring of representatives, "you should know that there are some on this committee who feel, given your service record both for this country and against it, that you belong in a penitentiary. Not mouthing off on Capitol Hill. And you, Miss Ivanski," his attention turned suddenly to June, who flinched slightly at the accusation in his tone. "You're an agent for the FBI, and still you seemed to have neglected to consider the consequences of your actions. Not only did you operate without authorization to instigate the arrest of a murderous Hydra terrorist, you had a direct hand in causing both domestic and institutional destruction. Please, give us one reason why we should not throw the both of you, along with Captain Rogers and Mr. Wilson, into a high-security detention center?"

There was a brief silence before Natasha lifted her chin and met Scudder's gaze. "You're not gonna put me in a prison. You're not going to put any of us in a prison. You know why?"

Scudder scoffed. "Do enlighten us."

"Because you need us," Natasha said at once, clearly and boldly. "Yes, the world is a vulnerable place, and yes, we helped make it that way. But we're also the ones best qualified to defend it," her pink lips tilted. "So if you want to arrest us, arrest us. You'll know where we are."

Scudder narrowed his eyes, and his focus shifted to June. "Romanoff has very apparently made her point. Do you have anything to add?"

June lifted her eyes, chest tight, limbs numb. "I think if you're willing to accept lies to ensure comfort, we're not the people who should be on trial," she pronounced cautiously. "But if you feel safer with us locked up . . . I think Natasha made herself very clear."

In her peripheral, June saw Nat looking at her, but she ignored the stare. The council kept their eyes on June as well, and for many uncomfortable moments no one said a word. Finally, bored with the tense inactivity, Natasha shrugged, and rose abruptly from her seat. Shakily, June did the same, and followed the cat-eyed assassin through a swarm of shouting journalists and wild photographers, out of the courthouse altogether.

• • •

IT was not until she and Natasha were safely shut within the latter's corvette did June allow herself to breathe.

The A/C fanned pleasantly over her face, and the quiet hum of the car engine reminded her of the first time she had ever sat in the passenger's seat. That day seemed so long ago.

"So you released all of Hydra's files, huh?" June asked the fiery-haired agent anxiously after a long interval of silence.

Natasha drummed her fingers on the wheel, and June noticed a thin file resting on her lap. "Mhm. Don't worry—I didn't see anything about you."