A POET'S MANIFESTO

I LIKE MY POETRY TO BE LOUD, but subtle. Nothing too extravagant or frivolous. My poetry has to work behind-the-scenes, shaking hands with metaphors and alliterations. My poetry knows how to plant seeds in your mind, how to force my thoughts into yours with finesse.

I LIKE MY POETRY TO BE FREE, but with restrictions. Let them go wherever they want, as long as they stay in the confines of these stanzas. Give them just enough to believe in you, but never more.

I LIKE MY POETRY TO BE MEANINGFUL, but distracting. Here, come and look at these pretty words, how I string them together into music, lulling you into obedience. Don't dig too deeply, and never, ever read between the lines.

I LIKE MY POETRY TO BE EMPATHETIC, but apathetic. Too much sentiment makes the soul sick with grief, and we wouldn't want that, would we? Desensitize, glamorize, neutralize. My poetry was built to serve you (but only when it is convenient).

I LIKE MY POETRY TO BE UPLIFTING, but built on the backs of those who cannot speak in rhymes. My poetry doesn't tolerate those who defy the status quo; it is only for those who are privileged enough to afford these words. My poetry gives a voice to those who deserve it.

I LIKE MY POETRY TO PAINT YOU A PICTURE, but I will not bother with shades of brown. In fact, I like my poetry as white as a blank canvas. My poetry wants nothing to do with your rights. My poetry doesn't care about your struggle, or your children, or the world outside of its canvas. And my poetry really, really doesn't like it when you take your paintbrush to create portraits; strokes of brown, pink, cream, black, and-- God forbid-- rainbows.

I LIKE MY POETRY how I like my politics.

(alternative title: MY POETRY WILL NOT BE SILENCED)

_

A/N: these words are not a reflection of my thoughts, but the ideas that I see often in media and politics. its disheartening. when did we start teaching hate in place of love?