Chapter 1

"Make a wish!" Everyone's voice echos in my head.

       Even though I feel as if it's childish, I grasp onto my necklace and hesitate to blow out the candles anyway. It won't do any harm, to have a little more hope left in me. As I blow out the candles I let go of my ever so perfectly curved necklace. I can feel the cold silver bounce against my skin, each curve leaving a mark on my body. Everyone cheers around me as I ease the 16th flame into nothing.

                                                                                        +++

     The Sunday sun comes gleaming through the curtain, glowing on my face as if on cue to awake me for a whole new day. I cover my head with my blanket only to have mom come rushing in yelling as if we actually have a lot to do today.

"RISE AND SHINE, SUNSHINE!" She exclaims as she opens the curtain with a quick shift, exposing more light to my body.

"Noooooooo..." I mutter as I pull myself more under the blanket, curling into an armadillo ball.

Mom acts as if she didn't hear me and goes to my dresser to pick out my Sunday best for church. I wrap my hand around my necklace for a quick check. Still stone cold. I sigh and throw the blanket off me. I regret my decision of curling into a blanket on a  90 degree morning. I lay spread out like a starfish on my California King sized bed. My beige silk bed sheets feel like the ocean under me. I close my eyes and see the ocean water huddle around me, wrapping around every inch of my body. Fish, turtles, and other sea creatures all look at me as they pass by. A fish slides it's silky body around me. Every muscle in my body is calm and relaxed.

A soft shutter of my bed wakes me from my fantasy. Mom smiles above me. "I picked out some clothes for you to wear to church. Now, up and at em'!" She proclaims as she marches out of my room.

The dress falls down to my knees. I fix the cuffs that end at my mid-biceps, and the collar at my collarbone. I like this dress. It has truffles and buttons that end at my waist, then flows at the skirt. I wouldn't exactly wear it as a casual or for a date, but it's a good Sunday dress. I place the necklace ever so gently against my dress, and go to meet my mother in the car.