QUATRE

QUATRE
1821

Grown ups never understand anything
by themselves, and it is tiresome for
children to be always and forever
explaining things to them.

Elijah lived in a constant state of mild annoyance and deep resignation.

His only reprieve nowadays was what time he spent with the children. Marcellus was an intelligent young lad, already in possession of the strappings that many a fine man made, and Bellona was a sweet girl, kind and full-hearted, with a goodness that reminded Elijah of Rebekah as she had been at that age, long ago, before the lies and the cruelty.

Before the bloodlust.

Even his ill-tempered sister had taken a liking to the children, though in retrospect, Elijah reflected there was no helping that.

The moment they had arrived home all those months ago, Niklaus had foisted the girl on their sister and the boy on Elijah and had gone about his merry way.

What little time he did spend with the children was fleeting, and precious in its evanescence. As such, Elijah could not help that his brother's young wards gravitated towards others.

They were children, for heaven's sake.

Niklaus's temper had a short fuse, even for strays he considered his own, and young creatures required endless amounts of patience.

And yet, Elijah noted, for all that his brother was a fool, Niklaus seemed genuinely fond of their strays.

Elijah saw his brother's pride whenever Marcellus should run to him to showcase a new trick, and he did not miss the absolute fondness on Niklaus's face whenever Bellona called him "Lord Nik" and showered him with kisses.

It was clear how smitten Niklaus was with the girl, and Elijah did not have to ask to know that the child reminded his brother of Tatia's young daughter all those years ago.

Niklaus had always been unapologetic in his affections.

Whether in private when he did not think anyone was looking, or in public with any number of eyes upon him, on a stroll through the gardens or through the cobbled streets, his brother would carry Bellona at his hip, the bright new sun around which Niklaus's world now turned.

By their side more often than not, young Marcellus would be talking animatedly, retelling stories he and his sister had read with Elijah the previous night as they sat before the hearth.

Elijah sighed deeply.

Trust Niklaus to cast the children upon others and expect them to continue to favour him above everyone else, and then, when things did not go his way, throw a fit out of petty jealousy, as though half a child himself.

Because the wretch could not turn to their sister for companionship, he turned to another.

Rebekah had not yet forgiven Niklaus for the untimely demise of that young man she fancied, and could scarcely stomach his presence without hurling some wicked insult at him. Truly, it was a pleasure to watch — but Elijah should have known there would be consequences.

Niklaus was never one to learn from his mistakes.

━━━━━━━━━━

Bello peered around Klaus's side. There, sitting in the drawing room, was a man who looked very much like Elijah.

"And who might this little one be?" he asked, glancing over at her. He did not sound like Elijah.