Ch III - Tributes

AN- Finnick didn't die, he's the same age as Katniss, so is Annie and Joanna. Everything else remained the same.

Katniss sat with Joanna, Annie, Peeta and Finnick in district 12. Haymitch had passed out hours ago. It was only half past eight at night. In a big arm chair, Annie sat next to Finnick, her head rested on his shoulder and his arm wrapped around her waist. Joanna and Katniss sat back to back on the couch, Katniss's legs over Peeta's lap, his hand rested on her thigh.

"Well..... For once he has an excuse for his drink." Annie said brightly. "Why is that? He's always drunk, why does he have an excuse today, huh?" Asked Finnick. The others looked at Finnick like he had just said the dumbest thing ever. "Finnick..... Today is the anniversary of the end of Haymitch's games...." Peeta informed him. Annie rubbed Finnick's shoulder knowing how bad he'd feel. "I didn't know." Finnick sighed. "It's ok Finnick, you didn't know." Annie said sweetly.

This was some thing that the others liked about Annie. She managed to keep everyone calm by having a positive attitude all the time, despite everything she had been through. Annie Cresta, always positive, always helping the others. She was the only one that never got mad at Haymitch, never fought with him or raised her voice. God knows how, he was an infuriating man. Although he wasn't as bitter as he once was, he was still a pain.

"So, what should we do tomorrow?" Peeta asked. "Tomorrow, I think we should restock on food. Finnick, and I can go hunting, and Annie and Peeta can collect the herbs or bake or whatever it is you two do, and Joanna, could you collect more wood? We'd do it ourselves but it'll make it harder to sneak around." Katniss addressed the group. "Yeah sure." Joanna said. "We could bake a little if we have time." Peeta shrugged. "We can go fishing." Katniss stared at Finnick like he was crazy. "Let me rephrase. I can teach you how to fish."

Katniss and Annie rolled their eyes.

The five of them sat and talked for a good few hours until everyone fell asleep.

****

A light made Katniss wake up. She opened her eyes and adjusted them to the suddenly bright room. She looked around to see what what was going on. And she saw them. A centaur and.... What? a Black cat? What the?

Katniss shook Peeta's shoulder. "Peeta. Peeta wake up." She said quietly. She then woke up everyone else in turns. The moment Finnick saw the centaur, he wrapped his arm tightly around Annie and pulled her behind him and extended his other arm towards Joanna and the other two. Joanna quickly reached behind the couch and threw Finnick's trident to him and quickly gave Katniss her Bow and Arrows and held her axe threateningly. Annie drew a dagger from her pocket and Peeta pulled out a sword from under the couch cushions.

Everyone sprang up and aimed their weapons at the centaur, and the cat on it's back.

"Who are you?" Katniss demanded. "I am a Friend. You need not be afraid my dear. Your father asked me to keep you safe. As did your father Joanna." the Centaur said calmly. Then, before everyone's eyes, the cat jumped off the centaur and turned into an old woman, wearing a green cloak and a witches hat. "Annie Cresta, your mother asked me to keep you safe years ago. And now, we are to fufil our promise. Come. We won't hurt any of you. We will take you all somewhere safe." The old woman said wisely.

Annie looked up at Finnick, who tightened his grip around her waist protectively. Katniss and Joanna shared a look. It appeared they were having a conversation without words, their friendship was that strong.

What do you think, Katniss? Can we trust them?

I'm not sure...... I'm not the best judge of character.....

Maybe we should go.

"Where are you from?" Katniss asked the woman. "I am from Scotland, my friend is originally from Greece." Katniss recognised the names. They were countries like America once was.

I think we should go.

What are we waiting for?

"Let's go." Joanna said. "ARE YOU INSANE?!" Finnick shouted. "Finnick, I trust my father." Katniss hissed. "And I trust my mother." Annie added, looking up at Finnick with a sweet, innocent look. Otherwise known to the group as "the look that makes Finnick do whatever Annie wants him to".

"Fine. Let's go".