Chapter Zero: Inside his head

November rain had a certain feel to it, the so cold that it fogs the breath of everyone that walks past. The rain softly hits your skin, not cold enough to be snow, but frigid enough to make skin cover in goosebumps. Dean hated it.

He looked out the window, and watched as the droplets of rain slid down the glass. His breath fogged it, he wiped it with the side of his jacket, watching as Sam Winchester, his brother, came back to the car.

Dean pressed the lock button just before Sam pulled the door handle, causing Sam to give dean an annoyed look, "Dude come on." Dean chuckled and then unlocked the door and Sam climbed in and shut the door. Sam gave him a look of 'Really? You're a grown man.' but then just shook his head, "Alright, what we got is the vic, Ryan Richardson's flesh was ripped of his face, but get this, his ears were severed, and his nose was- well severed." Dean raised a brow, "And how is this exactly up our alley?" "Dean, he had frost bite, in a house, with the heat on." Dean thought a bit and then nodded, "Alright, this is up our alley."

Dean and Sam's drive back to the bunker was spent mostly in silence until Sam cleared his throat and looked at Dean, "You alright Dean?" Dean looked at Sam, "Yeah man, I am fine." "Dude, I have been eating this organic salad for ten minutes and you haven't said anything about it." "Sammy, I don't give a shit about your damn rabbit food okay?" "Okay jeez-" Sam took a huge bite from his chicken caesar salad and crunched loudly on a crouton, "Are you trying to make me say something about your whatever that is?" "I am trying to make you say anything Dean, ever since you and Cass started fighting you have been like depressed." Dean slammed his hand on the steering wheel, "I am not depressed, I am pissed. And, Castiel will never make me feel sad like some fifteen year old girl." The truth was, Dean Winchester was sad, and it was because Cass.

A few days ago the angel came out and said that he found a girl, and he really liked her. Dean didn't know why he was so affected by Castiel's girlfriend. The fact that he has been blowing of him and Sam for weeks, he barely answered Dean's texts, now even the stupid angel emoji he sends. He just isn't around anymore. He doesn't even give the girl a damn name, it's either that girl or when he is drunk, fucking bitch. "Well, maybe he getting out of the life Dean. Maybe Castiel wants to settle down with Cassandra and be happy. You should be happy for him." Settle down with Cassandra. Be Happy. You should be happy for him.

Dean parked the car and got out and headed into the bunker without saying another word to Sam and buried himself in a bottle of bourbon whiskey.

---

Dean woke up the next morning with the worst hangover he felt since the apocalypse. He went into the kitchen and yawned and began frying eggs and bacon just as Sam came back from his morning run with a familiar voice, and a fairly annoying one. Castiel and That Girl. Dean wished he hadn't started cooking, now he has to talk to them. Now he has to look at the girl with her arm latched around Castiel's arm. "Hello Dean." Castiel said and smiled a bit, "Cassandra and I decided to come visit." Dean plastered on a fake smile, "Hey man, haven't seen you in a while." "Yes Cassandra and I have been really busy lately." "So are Sam and I so sorry to cut your visit short." Sam raised my brow, "Dude, all we have to do is look into folklore to see if The Men of Letters had anything about this before. And when have you ever helped me research, usually you loudly blast music from your room, or watch your weird japanese animation porno." Dean looked at Sam offended, "It's called anime and, I am particularly interested in this job. Speaking of which, gimme the damn books I'll look through the 'lore." Dean grabbed the stack of books off of Sam's desk and went into his room. As soon as the door shut behind him, he slid down it. He knew what was wrong.

He loved Castiel. Fuck.

How long has he loved Castiel, how long had he just played it off? God dammit. He grabbed his car keys, he needed to get drunk, consequences later. He left his room, and headed right out the door to the outside.