The Mystery Of Evalyn Cove

Rain.

There seemed to be no end of it when you lived in the secluded town of Evalyn Cove.

"Not enough cute girls or wild parties"

"This place is like a prison, I can't wait to move out of here for college"

"The sooner the better"

Voices and silent complaints began to elevate as the rain pounded harder on the roof of the high school. The amount of whining from my other classmates seemed to equal the number of rain droplets that slid off the dreary windows.

I kept my head down and continued to pack my things after stepping out of my last class. I held no interest in the conversations of the other girls and I hurried to leave the depressing hallway.

I swung my bag over my shoulder and rushed down the crowded path.

Occupied by my thoughts, I hadn't noticed I bumped into a tall girl. Her things flew out of her arms and scattered on the floor in one great mess. She grumbled under her breath and I faintly heard a vulgar word absentmindedly slip from her mouth. I sighed and bent down to help her.

"Thanks..."

A quick reply was all I managed to hear as the girl left and briskly turned a corner. Momentarily confused by her odd eagerness, I almost missed the horrid scream and sobbing of a girl near the window.

Everyone rushed to her side and I blankly stared at the corner of the hall before following behind. It wasn't like me to get involved, but something in the back of my mind urged me to see what the commotion was about. "What's that smell?... It's coming from that locker!", I heard.

A curious group huddled around the fear-sickened girl and tried to comprehend her inaudible speech. I noticed her shaking finger pointing to her locker and instinct drove me to force the door open.

To everyone's horror, a corpse flopped onto the ground and landed with a thud. Rotting blood pooled around the body and a dreadful stench swirled from the locker and clung to the air around us. Girls and guys alike covered their noses and recoiled themselves from the scene. I took a step forward and lifted the dead girl's lifeless body. I noticed her eyes were rolled back unnaturally and her skin held a freezing touch. Bumps and bruises clouded her face but not enough to hide her identity.

"Someone murdered one of the Quaker twins!"

* * *

The rain continued to pour down on us.
It gave off a misty fog which engulfed the high school in a melancholy bleakness.

Policemen huddled around the exits and prevented the students from escaping. The teachers shouted angry remarks at the officials as they tried to comprehend the situation.

I merely stood in the middle of the hallway. I was staring down at my hands and for the briefest moment, I could feel the girl's cold, dead body once again in my embrace. The sight of a corpse was enough to send a shiver down anyone's spine, but oddly enough, I didn't feel scared or traumatized like the rest of the girls. If anything I felt like this was a rare opportunity. My chance at relieving the wave of desperation that clung to everyone who desired to end their tedious lives with a chance at exhilaration.

The staff and student body were lead to the gymnasium by brooding officers who watched their every move. When everyone was settled down, a man stepped onto the podium and raised a microphone to his chin.

"I'm sure you all know who I am, this is a fairly small town, but to the few of you who don't, my name is Deputy Richard Owens. My team here has taken protocol and put this high school under lockdown due to the misfortunate events of a murder. No one is allowed to leave for if they do, we might lose our suspects and possibly the one responsible for the murder of Caphony Quaker."