Miles's Epilogue: Our Identity

Miles

So what is your identity as the people of Easternport?

The wars in Easternport took my identity away from me twice. I am no longer the crown prince of the Underground, but that's okay. That was never an identity that I identified with. But I've also lost my place as Dr. Gore's student. That one hurt. It left me torn, bare, and lost.

After the funeral, I spent quite a long while trying to figure out who I now was and what I had.

"You're my husband," Cory said. "You're a brother to Mikkel and Markus, and even Marcel, though you don't ever see him. Maybe you should go see him."

I wasn't going to. But she had a good point.

My identity belonged to more than my parents or Dr. Gore. My identity was shared with those I held closest... and those that I was forced to live with, Mikkel included. As much as I wanted to hate him for everything, I was his kolectiv brother. And even though I knew he was responsible for the mess in the South End, and during the funeral of the most innocent man in the world, he was planning his next big scheme. I was still his brother and it was my responsibility to keep him from doing any more damage.

Your identity is tied to those around you. Look to the people you hold most dear, they are your identity. They are also your responsibility.

____

Author's Note:

Thank you so much for reading Easternport! This story has been a loooooong time coming, but I also know that it has a loooong way to go. I do plan on revising it and editing all sorts of things in the future and I greatly appreciate any suggestions you have to offer. Reader's comments have really helped me reshape this story into something readable and I would be lost without them.

So thank you to everyone that has helped me in the past! And if you see anything else that needs to be added, changed, moved, deleted, etc. please, PLEASE feel free to nag me on it.

If you're looking for what happens next, Easternport Vol. 2 is in the works. Feel free to meander through my works and check it out.