Kuroo Tetsurou - The Distance Between Us

"Did you get my package, kitten?" Kuroo asks, staring at you through the screen of his phone as the two of you take part in your weekly video chat.  You were on opposite sides of the world, you in the United States for school and him in Japan working on his volleyball career, so it was only natural that the two of you would need to see the other's face at least once a week.

"Yeah, I just picked it up from the mailroom.  I haven't opened it yet, though."

"Good.  I want to see your face when you do!"

"Jesus, Tetsurou, you're making me nervous about this," you say, giving him a skeptic look.

"It's nothing bad, I promise.  Open it!"

You release a sigh, cutting the packaging tape with a pair of scissors.  You sift through the packaging peanuts finding a small box of Mrs. Kuroo's homemade chocolate chip cookies that you love so much, a random assortment of sweets, and a box of instant hot chocolate mix.  "You know, I'm really trying to avoid my Freshman Fifteen and you're not helping."

He laughs.  "You'll still be my beautiful girlfriend whether you gain fifteen pounds or not.  But, keep looking.  There should be one more thing."

"I only see packing peanuts... Oh, wait, I found it." You pulled out a black hooded sweatshirt. How did you manage to miss this?  You unfold it, looking at the front.  Men's National Volleyball Team was written in white block letters with the Japanese flag in the corner.  Tetsurou's surname was across the back.  You stared at the sweatshirt and then back at him.  "You made it?"

"I made it," he assured, a broad smile on his face.

"Oh, my God.  Tetsurou, I'm so proud of you.  This is amazing," You say, holding your hand over your mouth in disbelief.

"Thanks, Y/N-chan.  Now, when I end up playing at the Olympics, you can be extra supportive," he teased.

"I'll be up in the stands wearing your name." 

Your words cause his smile to soften.  "I can't wait for that.  I can't wait to see you period."

"Two more weeks and I'll be on my way.  Can you wait that long?"

"I doubt it," he laughs. "The rest of the guys on the team can't wait to meet you.  They're convinced I made you up."

"I'm not sure if I should take that as a compliment or not."

"They think that you're too perfect for me.  Which isn't a lie." 

You laughed.  "Well, then I'll show them that I'm perfectly real and completely in love with you, even if you are an idiot who doesn't think he's good enough for me."

"God, I miss you," he mutters, resting his cheek against his fist.

"I miss you too, babe..."

"How's school going?" He asks, changing the subject so he isn't forced to think about you not being by his side.  He'd be the first to admit that he missed having you in his arms.  He missed touching you, missed the smell of your hair, and the way you were always singing no matter what was going on.  He just honestly and truly missed your presence and your weekly video chats always hurt him more and more.  You were all the way across the world and he was stuck in Japan, only being able to see you through a small screen on his phone while everyone else got to see you in person. Everyone else got to hold you.  Everyone else got to smell your hair. Everyone else got hear you sing.  Everyone but him.  

He rubbed his face in his hands while you talked about your classes.  He heard you slow down, noticing his mannerisms.  "Tetsurou? You okay?" He hears you ask.

"No..." he whispers.  "I'm such a baby," he laughs, staring at the ceiling as the tears start to well in his eyes.  

"Tetsurou... What's wrong?  Please don't cry..."

"I shouldn't be crying... It just... I hate not being around you and I know that you're coming back to me soon, but Y/N, you're only going to be here for a week.  I don't know how I'm going to be able to handle four years of this, Y/N," he laughs weakly.

"I know it's hard, Tetsurou, but we'll manage.  I know we can.  I'll come visit you as often as I can, okay?  I miss being around you too, baby, but we can't just give up now."  

"Yeah... It's just not fair," he whines.

"What's not fair?"

"Everyone else gets to see you in person and I'm stuck staring at a grainy video on my phone.  I want to see you..."

"I want to see you too, Tetsurou.  But, we don't have to wait much longer, okay? Two weeks isn't that long and then I'm all yours for seven whole days."

"Two weeks is lot longer than how you're making it sound, Y/N-chan."

"Maybe so, but I want you to focus on volleyball for these next two weeks and you'll see how quickly they pass.  I promise, I'll be in your arms in no time," you say, giving him a reassuring smile.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Kuroo stood on one of the airport benches so he could see over the heads of the crowd.  Bokuto stood by his side, perched on his toes.  "Where is she, man?" Bokuto asks, jumping slightly to get a better look.

"I don't know, but she needs to hurry up," Kuroo mumbled, craning his neck to try and spot your Y/H/C hair in the mass of people.

"Um... Tetsurou-kun? Bokuto-san? What are you doing?"

Both boys turn quickly, nearly losing their balance and toppling off the bench.  "Y/N!" Tetsurou shouts, climbing over the back of the bench and hugging you tightly. He buries his face in your neck, taking in the smell of your hair.  It was perfect.  You were perfect.  "God, I love you"

You chuckle a little, running your fingers through his messy black locks.  "I love you too," you manage to say through a soft yawn as your jet lag had already begun to catch up with you.  

Kuroo quickly scooped you up, placing you on his back so you were piggy-backing him.  "Bokuto! Get the lady's bags! We're going home," he shouts.  His voice goes quieter as he adds a small "Finally" before kissing your hand and carrying you out to his car.

So, I am slowly but surely running out of inspiration... I need prompts, guys *cries*