Chapter 17

"Are you sure you're feeling alright?"

I rolled my eyes at the concerned look Remus shot me.

"I'm fine, Moony! Madam Pomfrey said I just had to rest-"

"Maybe we should go back to the Common Room, the-"

"The library is fine," I said, a sense of finality in my voice that I hoped would shut him up. The two of us were seated at a table in the library working on our Charms project, but Remus insisted on asking me about my post-concussion side effects every couple of minutes. "It's very... restful," I smirked, and Remus let out a small laugh. He was in a bit of a strange mood today. I'd noticed he wasn't only irritable on the full moon, but sometimes different phases of the moon would play with his emotions. Today he was showing little feeling other than the concern he'd shown before. A flat day.  A group of students bustled in, snickering, and I rolled my eyes again.

"Remus, pass the book on summoning charms, will you? I can't seem to find anything on this question." I held my hand out for the book, not shifting my gaze from the hastily scribbled notes I had made a few classes ago. After a few moments of waiting, I looked up. "Are you listening to m-"

My eyes widened slightly at the small crowd of people standing in front of our table. A couple of tall and broad Slytherin boys- Yaxley and Dolohov- with another few girls behind them, one of which I recognised as Bellatrix Black. They were all sniggering lightly as Dolohov flicked casually through the book I had just been asking for.

"Having a little romantic study session, are we?" I sighed, turning back to the work. I'll just skip to the next question.

"Piss off, Dolohov," Remus snapped. I shot him a look that clearly told him to leave it alone.

"No need to be so rude, Lupin," Yaxley smirked, folding his arms across his chest. He flicked his head over his shoulder towards Bellatrix. "I thought she was into your cousin, Bella, not this one."

Bellatrix sneered. "Like I would know. I don't associate with blood traitors like him." The group sniggered, and I rolled my eyes again. I seemed to be doing a lot of that today.

"Is there something you want? I am trying to work, you know." Bellatrix sneered at me again, but before she could say anything, Dolohov spoke up again.

"No, Black may be a traitor, but he's still Pureblood. He's too good for her." I glared at him, digging my nails into my palms. Don't let them get to you. Don't let them get to you. "She's far better suited to a halfblood. Although, Andrews, aren't both your parents mudbloods?" I opened my mouth to say something, anger coursing through me in a sudden rush. Both my parents were Muggleborn, but they weren't... that. Before I could act, Remus slammed his hands down onto the table, getting to his feet. I laid a hand on his arm in surprise. I didn't want to cause a scene.

"Remus," I warned, but he shook me off.

"Back off," he growled. I kept my hand on his arm defiantly. I wasn't going to let him get into a fight because for me. Dolohov took a step forward, the smirk on his face showing his delight at Remus' reaction.

"I would've thought even a halfblood like you could settle for better than a mudblood like her." That was it. My hand jumped to my wand, but not before Remus' arm swung back, and his fist made direct contact with Dolohov's face. The Slytherin boy stumbled back, landing on his behind and sending all the Slytherins hurrying off before Madam Pince made an appearance.