Chapter II: Hou Maka

I was surprised, to say the least. To see such a large and thriving community in the middle of the ocean, it was beyond belief. I'd been to many fishing villages and even met a few Natives in the West Indies, but these people were far different than any Natives I'd seen before.

"E hele mai me au." Moana's strange words reached my ears again, and she tugged on my torn sleeve. I glanced over at her, and she nodded her head toward one of the large buildings in the distance. I nodded my head, thinking I understood what she meant. As I followed her, my skin crawled as I felt more and more eyes on me. The villagers glanced over, many of them confused.

As we neared one of the longhouses, two people walked out from its shade and approached the pair of us. They seemed to be a couple, and wore supple headdresses made of leaves, flowers, and seashells. I could only assume the man was the chief, and he shot me a suspicious look. Moana and the woman embraced each other, and I was taken aback for a moment. Moana was a princess; the chief's daughter, technically speaking, but there was no major difference in my experience. The three shared a few soft words, before turning to me.

"Makuakane, makuahine." Moana said, glancing at the man, then the woman. "Au i loaʻa iā lākou ma luna o ke kahakai." Before she could continue, the large man held his hand up, and gently pulled her and the woman aside. They had a hushed word, though it wasn't as if I could understand them anyway. Moana seemed quite excitable, to say the least, while her father kept a stern tone. I glanced around and noticed the people had all but stopped what they were doing to watch the exchange. Letting out a soft breath, I held up a finger and cleared my throat.

"If I may interrupt for a moment," I said, causing the three of them to pause and glance at me, "it was not my intention to cause any disagreement. All I need is a sturdy boat, some supplies, and a map to the nearest port, and I'll be out of your hair quicker than sea salt."

The trio rose their eyebrows, and I let out a sigh, rubbing my own brow.

"Of course, of all the places I could've landed..." I muttered to myself, before glancing up at the chief, who's gaze could've rivalled Medusa's herself.

"ʻO wai ʻoe?" He said, and suddenly I felt a subtle wave of déjà vu. "He kanaka 'oe i enemi paha i ka hoalauna?"

I slowly took a step back, and raised my hands slightly.

"Listen, sir, I swear I have no quarrel with you or your people." I said calmly, hoping I was answering whatever questions he was asking in such a way that would keep me alive; though the chief made sure to keep the distance between us consistent.

'What does he want me to do, get on my knees?' I thought to myself, before the thought hit me a tad harder. I slowly lowered myself to the sand, until my knees dug into it like firewood into ash.

"See? I'm entirely at your mercy now." I said, in a rather melodramatic voice. Perhaps it was the heat, or the seawater I might've swallowed, but at this point, it was difficult for me to care. The chief seemed to recognise my tone, and rolled his eyes. He suddenly grabbed my arm, pulling me to my feet. He then shot a glare at me, before turning to Moana.

"E hōʻoia i ka mea, aohe pilikia." He said, and Moana's eyes brightened. She gave him a quick kiss on the cheek, before approaching me and brushing the sand off me.

"E hele mai, hele mai! Au e hoike aku oe i kou wahi moe." She said, grabbing my arm and practically dragging me along. We soon reached a smaller hut near the longhouse, and she paused at its entrance for a moment. She rested her hand on the outside wall, and seemed to utter something before turning to me. She then smiled, and beckoned me inside. It was a modest abode, with a bed in the corner and other commodities: mats, baskets, and whatnot.