Chapter 5

Captain Turner and his crew had been confined to a small area of the research station. After several days of confinement, they were allowed to board the Vengeance again, or what was left of it. The Vengeance had all propulsion, weapons, sensors and external communications taken down, except a direct connection to the station communications office. They even went as far as to wipe every computer of all non-essential information. Navigation charts, personal logs, even the entertainment database was as pristinely empty as the day it was manufactured.

Captain Turner was not in a pleasant mood when he finally arrived on the bridge.

"Captain, so nice of you to join us," Ensign Ortiz stated sarcastically. "Welcome to the new and improved bridge of the Vengeance. Features include a multitude of inoperative consoles, and those that are online are locked out by station security. Let us not forget the completely empty crew quarters, just a deck below." There was more anger and bitterness in that last statement than sarcasm.

"They cleaned me out too," Captain Turner admitted. "I was informed as I entered my office. Apparently, they are scanning each item to make sure we aren't smuggling any data regarding this secret station."

"Any word on when we are going to be paroled?" she asked, looking around the deserted bridge.

"I still have some sway with The Council." Ensign Ortiz looked at him skeptically. "Alright, it's more blackmail than actual sway, but it'll work just the same. Give me another week and I should be able to get us out of here."

"And what are we supposed to do while we wait?"

"Well, we still have a damaged ship that needs to be repaired," he suggested.

"I think I'll stay here and wait for any transmissions from the station's communications controller. He sounds hot. Maybe if I work my charm we can get a little entertainment downloaded from them."

"Don't do anything stupid," Captain Turner advised.

"You sound as if you don't trust me," she said, faking offense. Captain Turner shook his head and left the bridge. He was almost to his office when he heard Ensign Ortiz's voice. "Captain to the bridge," she stated.

"What now?" Captain Turner entered the bridge.

"You have been ordered to report to the station," she replied. "That's all the message said." Captain Turner left the bridge wondering what he had done and who he had angered.

***

I watched as a somewhat surprised Captain Turner entered my cell block. Ever since my attack on Sarah, I had refused to say another word to anybody, other than to ask for Captain Turner's presence. I knew they wouldn't give in right away, which was alright with me. It gave me time to prepare.

"Jack, what's going on?" Andrew asked, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Tell the guards to lower the field," I said cryptically.

"Are you sure that's wise? They told me what you tried to do to Sarah."

"I don't know what came over me, but I haven't felt that way towards anyone else. You can trust me Andrew, it's me."

Andrew stepped out of sight and a moment later he returned, followed by two tough looking guards. I stood as Andrew cautiously entered my cell. "I like what you've done with the place," he said looking around.