Noragami

Free.

Gods, how long had it been since I was free?

What was I? A phantom of sorts. I died, but a god summoned me from wherever to be his Regalia. He was a horrible master - no, this wasn't Yato - and I truly hated him. He wouldn't allow me to quit, so I allowed him to let me go.

A Regalia technically shouldn't be free. An older Regalia of his always told me that we exist to serve.

Not to him, and not for me.

I've been hanging out near a storm, keeping a well-trained eye on the area. I may or may not have accidentally caused a few Phantoms to devastate the city, but in all honesty, I didn't care. My job was simple: keep life interesting.

My usual playbuddy got turned into an active Regalia. He doesn't know who I am anymore. Sucks for him.

I leaned against the wall of a shop, sipping out of a coffee mug I nicked. I watched a few Phantoms gallivant up the side of the building, a storm quickly gathering in the street. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the Yato god slaying them with his Regalia. He left quickly, thinking he was done, but more Phantoms quickly gathered.

That was the beauty of Phantoms - they never die. They keep on existing, a pain in the side. Like me.

I watched as a cashier, possessed by a Phantom, nearly killed his boss before leaving. I would have intervened, but in doing so I would be noticed. I would rather be free than some god's tool. Also, my coffee would have gotten cold.

I did cause problems on a regular basis... That's why I had to stay on the down-low. Bishamon was after me, so it was best to stay in the shadows and be quick on my feet. Better to be free than to be dead.

Gotta keep life interesting, cause it's not worth living.

I heard a roar as a familiar lion landed on a nearby rooftop. I crouched near the door, blending into the shadows. Normally I never would have allowed Bishamon to get that close, but I had been distracted by my stolen coffee.

"This has her written all over it, doesn't it, Kuraha?" Bishamon sighed. "That Regalia needs to be tamed."

Tamed? No. I am wild. I am free.

I crept along the wall into an alley, where I ran with the wind, dodging stray Phantoms. The wind went into the forest, where I bounced through trees with nothing to hold me back.

"Track her!"

Except for that, darnit.

I lay flat against a branch as Bishamon's lion flew over me. Quickly, I ran back in the other direction, now feeling the pressing danger of discovery. I took wild turns and confusing dashes, hoping to shake them off.

I didn't get tired, though. I was free.

"Restraint."

I froze in place, just on a corner. I moved my eyes slightly to the left to see Kazuma, two fingers calmly pointed towards me.

Seriously? Seriously? Beaten that quickly? It seemed too easy. How was I defeated so easily by a Regalia? All of my being pushed against his spell, wanting to be free. All of my rage poured in the direction of Kazuma, while the sensible part of me realised I wasn't getting out of this one.

"Good work, Kazuma." Bishamon landed next to her Regalia, Kuraha's paws sounding fairly scratchy on the stones.

Bishamon turned to me. I couldn't read her expression, or her voice. "So, which will we have? Ablution or death?"

I offered a weak smirk. "An Ablution might take awhile."

Kazuma's voice was devoid of humour. "We have time, since we destroyed the last of your storms."

I want to be free. "Why am I still here, Bishamon?"

"Your talent is remarkable." Bishamon eyed me. "I could use your skill."

Inwardly, I groaned. Why me?

I want
To be
Free

"I'd rather not confess all my sins," I said defiantly, despite being held on a street corner held by a Regalia spell.

"You will," Kazuma responded. He regarded me coldly, his fingers enclosed on a black book. With a shock, I recognise it - my journal, full of sketches and ideas and personal thoughts. I keep that in my jacket.

This wasn't the first time Kazuma and I had tangled. I knew what he could do, but that didn't make me hate him less. I had vented him in that journal - him and the stupid world I was stuck in.

Kazuma pushed his glasses up, the reflection of the sun blinding me for a moment. "You will."

-----

Yay for random things that pop out of my head! If you are confused after reading that, don't worry. I am too.