Two

Ryland's POV

"Where the hell have you been?" Lisa said, standing in my living room, arms crossed. "I wake up, and you were gone."

"I'm sorry, baby... I-"

"You better not have been with someone else!" She interrupted me.

"What if I was?" I snapped back at her. "What if I was somewhere with someone else?"

"Damn it Ryland!" She screamed, stomping away. I followed her, hoping another fight wasn't about to break out, but I received a phone call. "Who the fuck is Joslyn?"

"She's a friend.." I said.

"Do I know her?"

"For fuck sakes, she's a coworker!" I raised my voice, then took my phone. "I have to answer this." I went into another room, shutting and locking the door behind me. "Hello?"

~

"Hey Ryland. Is everything okay?" Joslyn asked.

"Why wouldn't it be?"

"Look...." She sighed. "What happened between you and Shane? Why are you so upset with him?"

"Is that what this is about?" I groaned.

"Tell me what happened the other night.... I want to hear your side of the story.."

"I came over because Lisa was supposed to pick me up from work. He was being really nice to me, and I told him Lisa and I were having problems... When she called me, I answered it, and she was being rude. Shane yelled at her, and I got upset..." I said. "He was incredibly rude..."

"What did he say?" Joslyn asked.

"He was saying I deserve better than Lisa, and how she treats me terribly.." I said. "She was yelling at me, but it was only because she was mad.."

    "He's not wrong. I'm only saying this because I care about you both, okay? She's just going to end up hurting you.. You sound upset... Are you okay?" I stayed silent. "Ry?"

    "I don't know what to do.." I started to cry. "He.... He used to be my best friend... And he's changed now... I don't want to upset him, but he's upsetting me.."

    "You know he's hurting too.... right?" She said. "He's heartbroken.. Shane cares about you!"

    "I know..." I sighed, wiping my eyes.

    "Ryland?" Lisa yelled.

    "Joslyn, I gotta go.." I said.

    "Do what you think is right.... but just remember.... She's not worth it.."

    "Thanks.... but I love her.." I said. "I think I do... at least..." I hung up, and walked out of the room. "Hey.." I said to Lisa.

    "What took you so long?" She asked, arms crossed again. "And why were you talking about me?"

    "It's nothing..." I said. "I love you, Lisa..." I pulled her in for a kiss.

    "Well I don't know about that.." She said.

    "What?"

    "Why were you talking about Shane?" Lisa asked in a softer tone, looking innocent.

    "He.... He kissed me...." I chose to tell her the truth, knowing it may come back to bite me. She stood in front of me, my arms still wrapped around her, looking me dead in the eyes with a shocked expression across her face.

    "What?" She asked.

    "That's where I was.." I said. "He texted me... asking if I'd come ov-"

    "You left me to go kiss some guy?" She started to get angry. "Excuse me? Am I not good enough for you? Are you gay or something?"

    "Lisa, I didn't want to go, okay?" I said. "He begged.... He said it was important.... I had to.."

    "Are you gay?" Lisa asked again, but with a more serious expression.

    "No..." I said. "And besides.... I'm in love with you.... I've been with you for how long now?" I smiled.

    "Since college..." She smiled. "For five years..."

    "Exactly..." I held her close.

    "Ry... Why did you not propose that one night?" She asked.

"It didn't feel like the right time..." I said. "But I think I'll know when it will be the right time... Do you want to go out tonight? I know this cute little restaurant... you'd love it.."

    "Okay.." She smiled. "I'll go get ready.." Lisa kissed me on the cheek, then skipped off into our bedroom to get changed into my favorite dress on her. When she came back out, I was dressed, and stared at her. "Ry?"

"You look stunning..." I blushed, taking her hand. "Lets go.."

~

I drove us to the restaurant, and noticed a familiar car in the parking lot. Joslyn's car.

"Oh cool.. It looks like Joslyn's here.." I said. "Maybe we can get a table near hers."

"I thought this was going to be our night, Ry..." Lisa clung to my arm when I opened her door. "Right?"

"You're right.." I said. We walked inside, and got a table. The waitress poured us each a glass of champagne, and I proposed a toast. "To never fighting like that again...." I smiled. "When we fight... It's horrible.."

"I agree, baby.." She giggled, clinking her glass into mine. We ordered our food, and enjoyed each other's company as I fiddled with the box in my pocket. "Are you okay? You seem nervous.."

"I'm okay.." I smiled. "I just don't want you to worry, okay? Tonight is about us... not anyone else..."

"Okay.." She said. "I'm going to go to the little girl's room..." Lisa stood, gave me a quick kiss and walked off.

I said there at our table, contemplating my next move as I pulled the box from my pocket, opening it. The diamonds on the ring sparkled under the lights in the restaurant as I examined it, but it was immediately shadowed. "Shane?" I said, looking up. "Joslyn?"

"Ryland, what are you doing?" Joslyn sat down.

"What are you two doing here?" I asked, and Shane sat at their table, trying not to make too much eye contact.

"If you propose, you're making the biggest mistake of your life..." She said. "There's someone out there who will treat you way better... and you need to open your eyes and realize that!"

"Who? Who would actually take the time to treat me nicely? Who would have the heart to love me for me?" I snapped at her.

"Shane.." Joslyn said. "He told me he's in love with you.."

"Jos-"

"Just please... do the right thing. Lisa has always been like this.." Joslyn said. "She's gonna hurt you in the end, and hopefully then you'll figure it out..." She stood up and walked back to her table with Shane, right as Lisa was coming back from the restrooms.