Mary

I guess that was very selfish of me to think that I was the reason why our team won the game but I could not help it, finally our coach, the team, my coleagues and classmates recognized me! My hard work really paid off, practicing after school in the public basketball court at our subdivision, waking up early in the morning to jog--it was all worth it!

The whole team ran up to me and hugged me tight, they started to lift me up and there I saw everyone cheering for the team, for me. I could not believe it. The air up here is very refreshing! I looked in the crowd and saw everyone on our team rejoicing bouncing up and down except for one girl on the side, Mary. She was just standing there looking at the events unraveling to her. I wonder why she's not even happy. I guess that's how she really is. By this time the team was lifting me towards our designated place and they slowly put me down and the team captain, Rob with coach lift the big gatorade container and pour the cold ice gatorade on me. FUCK. That was cold! The glasses were tipped off my nose. Everyone's screaming and rejoicing until I looked at my left side, I saw Johny sulking and gritting his teeth real hard, fists gripping hard and looking at me badly as if I would catch fire if he does not stop looking at me like that. Both Mary and Johny was not happy with what had happened on the game and it just brought confusion on my head but for now, I don't really care.     

Finally, everybody's noticed me. I am not just Hue anymore, I am Hue, the boy who made the last shot. I need to live up to that name right now. I should not fail.

Because of the shock, surprise, and disbelief. I waited for everybody to disperse the gym so that I could let everything sink in my mind. I made it, I made the team enter the finals, we passed the semi-finals right? Now for the Championship. You need to this Hue, you got this, by tomorrow or next week, you'll be joining the official team of your school, not as benmchwamer but its players in the field. I was jumping up and down, shaking my hands in their when suddenly I heard someone dribbling, I looked at my back and saw Mary was there, she was the one dribbling the ball. She stopped dribbling the moment I noticed her presence. 

"Are you happy now?" She said, disgusted by what had happened.

"Yeah, I guess. And do you have any problems with that?" I said indifferently.

"Of course, you'll be joining the rest of them."

"What are you talking about?"

"Whoa, in an instant, you have changed, Hue. You suddenly didn't know was THEM."

"No, I did not. I'm just not used to this yet."

"Of course, you are not them and never you will be like them, Hue. So stop your pretending."

"Can you just be happy for me, Mary? That I could get to play with the team now. I am not a benchwarmer anymore."

"Are you even sure about that huh?" She threw me the ball as hard as she can. And she ran away towards the exit.

I held the ball so tight and looked up at the blinding lights as I contemplate the moment that just happened in my life. Is this what I have signed in for? Them fame and all the glory? Isn't just that what I wanted in the very first place when I entered high school? To have a new life and redeem myself from all the bullies? I am starting to feel shallow inside. I guess I am at loss for the moment. I am too consumed because of the fame I got back there. Will tomorrow change everything I got forever?I walked slowly towards the exit. I didn't even try to find Mary if she's still around. Why could not just be happy for me? She's been always a good friend and she knows that I had this dream, to be a good basketball player and get a chance to be in the finals of our school, then why? I could not understand this. Is this because she hadn't have the opportunity to be one of the popular girls in school where everyone in the class gawk at her at gives her favors?What is wrong, Mary?