18 - Dance All Night Long

Draco and I were sipping our punch while talking about random things like grades and things at home. It was just reaching ten when the band that was playing offered the microphone to people in the audience.

Many people sang, but an entire crowd gathered around the small stage when a certain Slytherin took the mic. Astoria gushed at all the attention, Ron roaring her name while the others chanted. Draco and I shared a glance before following the others to the center of the room.

Astoria was already singing, but her voice was so high pitched that I couldn't even let myself listen. My eyes squeezed shut as I tried to plug my ears, but the horrid sound still came.

"Was she always this bad, or has she just gotten worse?" I asked.

"Oh she's never been a good singer. She tries, yes, but she always fails."

"Well she sure has enough encouragement." He nodded, smirking as he watched his ex try to be something on the small stage.

"You should sing."

"What!?"

"I've heard you sing Hermione, you'll own her."

"I don't sing for other people. Sorry."

"Not even to get back at her and Ron?" I looked over to him with an interested look and a tiny smile as Greengrass finally finished her 'song', if you could even call it that.

"Who's gonna be next?" one of the band members asked. No one moved and I sighed at Draco's hopeful smile. He knew that got to me.

I raised my hand. "I guess it'll be me." Murmurs rippled thought of the crowd as I took the mic and climbed the stairs of the stage. Draco shot me two thumbs up as our friends gathered around him, eyes on me.

I took a deep breath, ginning at the smug look Astoria held that I would soon slap off her face. The music started. I began to sing.

"He says oh baby girl you know we're gonna be legends, I'm a king and you're a queen and we will stumble through heaven, if there's a light at the end it's just the sun in your eyes, I know you wanna go to heaven but you're human tonight.

"I've been sitting at the bottom of a swimming pool for a while now, drowning my thoughts out with the sounds.

"But do you feel like a young god? You know the two of us are just going gods. We'll be flying through the streets with the people underneath and they'll be running, running, running.
But do you feel like a young god? You know the two of us are just going gods. We'll be flying through the streets with the people underneath and they'll be running, running, running again."

There was a small break the the song and Astoria, who had lost her smile and was now fuming, took the stage and the microphone. I glared at her as she began to sing.

"He says oh baby girl don't get cut on my edges, I'm the king of everything and my tongue is a weapon, there's a light in the crack that's separating your thighs and if you wanna go to heaven you should fuck me tonight."

I had had enough. I snatched the mic back and continued while my friends cheered my name.

"I've been sitting at the bottom of a swimming pool for a while now, drowning my thoughts out with the sounds."

Draco smiled widely and shook his head while Ginny screamed in support. But Astoria had the mic again.

"But do you feel like a young god? You know the two of us are just going gods. We'll be flying through the streets with the people underneath and they'll be running, running, running."

I was not going to let her ruin my song anymore. I stole the mic back and pushed her away with my hand. As soon as I started singing she gave up and slapped my hand away, leaving the stage.

"But do you feel like a young god? You know the two of us are just going gods. We'll be flying through the streets with the people underneath and they'll be running, running, running again."

Everyone applauded me as I stepped back down the stairs where Draco was waiting. He laughed and wrapped his arms around me, lifting my feet off the ground and spinning me around.

"That was amazing! You should have seen her face!"

I giggled girlishly. "Thanks," I responded, hugging him back with my arms around his neck.

"Way to go Mione!" Ginny yelled.

"Wicked!" Blaise shouted beside her.

Pansy ran up behind them and grabbed their shoulders, pulling them with her. "Come on guys! Let's dance!" The others nodded in agreement so I did too, following them onto the dancefloor again.

-/-

We sat, unable and not wanting to move as our feet ached from the dance. For the sake of appearances only, I had my fingers intertwined with Draco's as our eyelids rested.

I felt a smile tug at the corners of my mouth as the delightful sparking sensation returned. Draco smirked and pushed his eyes open, turning to face me.

"It's been a while since we felt that, huh?"

"What, like, two days?"

"No, not like this."

We got quiet again, watching our friends laugh and smile with each other, having a great time it seemed. I looked over to see Ronald and Astoria making out in a corner and I rolled my eyes. Could they be any more disgusting?

I don't know what made me say the next words I said. Jealousy? Happiness? Excitement? Maybe it was just because it was two in the morning. I don't know, and I doubt I ever will.

"Draco, you know how I said that all of this was fake?" He nodded, folding a hand behind his head. "Well, um, maybe... I don't know, maybe it doesn't have to be?"

"What do you mean?"

"Maybe we can try to be in an actual relationship."

He laughed shortly, but it could have been mistaken for a scoff. "Is this your weird Hermione Granger way of asking me out?"

"Not exactly. I'm just asking if we can no longer classify our relationship as fake."

"So... When I do this"- he reached over and lifted my chin so that my lips met his, pulling me into a short, passionate kiss -"It's not just to get back at Astoria and Ron. It's actually real."

I nodded, a slow smile spreading on my lips. He smiled back, showing his perfect white teeth. Then he leaned in again and pressed my mouth to his. We were kissing like I never had before. I had never felt this way before.

And the last thing I remember of the night was that intoxicating kiss.