n u e v e

m a r a t h o n w i t h l o v e

Five weeks; a whole month and a week has passed since the break up and my arm is covered in paintings; an artist's pride was instilled in me when I looked at my satisfactory masterpieces.

"Joel!" someone called my name and I immediately looked over my shoulder while folding my sleeves down to cover up my tattoos.

"Yeah?" I asked as Ryan walked over and squatted down besides me.

"Someone just requested a song, Let Her Go by Passengers. Know the song?" Ryan asked as he gazed intently at me.

"Uh yeah." I muttered and Ryan patted my shoulder before getting up to call for the boys who were sitting at a booth near the entrance of the café.

In the very next breath, we were all set up. A small crowd of people had gathered near the small stage while the rest of them who weren't were scattered around the café.

The music started off softly but it immediately captured the attention of everybody. Everybody's head turned swiftly in our direction as I started singing.

I just closed my eyes till the the last verse of the song. When I opened my eyes, all I could see was a sea of faces, all unrecognisable.

Than my eyes landed on a lady near the entrance of the café. She had dyed pink hair and was wearing a pastel pink tee shirt and shorts with sandals to go along with it.

Standing next to her was a man. He had ruffled blonde hair, electric blue eyes and was wearing a polo tee shirt and jeans.

But most importantly, they were holding hands.

When my eyes met the lady's eyes, she looked back at me and mouthed my name. Unconsciously I stopped singing and muttered her name into the microphone, my eyes still fixed on her.

Her eyes widened and she immediately let go of the man's hand. I said her name even louder into the microphone when she dashed out from the café.

"Joel? What's going on?"

I looked over my shoulder to my band mates and then back to the crowd. I mumbled a soft apology to my band mates and rushed off stage, stumbling as I did so before running to the entrance of the café; shoving people as I went.

I could hear people shouting my name but I kept on running.

It felt like I was running a marathon with love and that I was actually catching up and overtaking her. It really felt like I was just ahead of love.

But love always had it's way of catching up.