Silver Wings

The man didn't notice her until she cleared the trees. He tilted slightly and scratched his hair. He was confused by this, and wondered why she had been able to hide so well from him. After all, the only reason he had this job was due to his eyes, which were the best in his village. The woman knew this, and found it slightly irritating.

She hadn't intended to hide from him. It was just that her clothes, a mix of browns and dull greens, tended to blend into the forest. Travelling through the trees was dangerous, and the camouflage was necessary for her survival. As was the way she wore her hood up, hiding her face and all but the end of her braids of black hair. Although, when she stepped outside of those trees, the way she dressed made people cautious.

A shadow flew overhead, making her look up and causing her hood to fall down, exposing her face and the rest of her hair. She didn't wear an abundant amount of braids, even though she had earned numerous beads in the last few years that announced her status. That would have attracted too much attention and made it harder for her to do her duty. So, the rest she kept with her, wearing them on a necklace that was hidden under her shirt instead of in her hair. The plainness of her head would help to keep the gate-keeper a little less suspicious.

The large bird that the shadow belonged to flew straight towards the town, then turned and circled back to her, flying low and preparing to land. Faye held out her arm so landing would be easier for Spite. A few days ago the talons of the hawk had torn into the flesh of her arm, but that didn't mean Faye hesitated. Since then Faye had prepared by wrapping a large portion of her arm with think bandages.

When the hawk landed, Faye could tell that the hawk was not comfortable because of the way that she fidgeted after landing.

"You don't have to come in," said Faye. She could understand the hawk's reluctance to be around people. As a wild creature, when Spite saw people it usually meant hunters or tree-cutting. Faye wasn't too fond of people either. If she could, she would have turned around and walked back into the forest with the hawk. However, the thought of her bag, the almost empty section where she kept her food, kept her going.

The pack was designed to be held on both shoulders, but Faye had it flung only over one to avoid putting pressure on the healing stab-wound from when she had been attacked by a group of men. It was another reason for her to enter into the town; there would be a Healer in the village that would be able to help with that.

Faye pet the hawk once, as much as Spite would permit, and then let the hawk fly off. She knew that Spite would come back to her when she came back out of the gate. The gate-keeper was still watching her, so Faye blinked into her second sight and glanced at him. His aura was a whirl of orange confusion and had splashes of muddy-brown suspicion as he watched her. However, she couldn't detect any anger or cruelty in him. Faye blinked back her power, making it so all she saw of the man was his physical body, and walked towards the village entrance. He was on the wall above the gate, looking down on her. He was young, just barely fully grown but had muscles to spare.

"Hello, traveller," said the man.

"Hello," said Faye, looking up so he could notice the brown eyes unique to the people born in the area of the forests.

"Mind if I ask you some questions?" he asked, clearly more at ease now that he could tell she wasn't a Roamer or someone from the coast or hills.

"Not at all, Gate-keeper."

"So, what are your reasons for coming into Erdin?" he asked.

"I plan to do a bit of trading, stock up on supplies and consult a Healer if that's possible."

"Yes, I can see you have quite a bit of blood on that arm. Nothing serious, I hope?"

"It was at the time," she said with a slight smile, "But not anymore. I just want someone to check on how it's healing."

"Glad to hear it," he said, and it seemed genuine. Well, as genuine as it could towards a stranger and potential danger to his town. He paused, and then tapped his finger on the wall.

"Could I see what you plan to trade?" he asked eventually.

"Are there items that aren't allowed?" asked Faye, who was unused to such a practice.

"Nothing like that," said the man with a smile. "I just want first trades if I spot anything else."

Faye laughed and swung her pack around to open it. Then she pulled out some of the trinkets she had made with wood, stone, duck feathers and bone that she had obtained on her travels. She held up a little whistle made of bone, designed to be put on top of a flute and an earring made with the unusually bright feathers. The man pointed at the earring. She didn't show him the blade she had also made of the bone, or the arrow heads she had crafted.

He pointed at the earring and then nodded. Then he opened the gate for her, but said nothing. Faye glanced at him, waiting for him to tell her enter or welcome her to his village, but he stood watching her silently. Faye picked back up her pack with a smirk.

She understood that this was a slight test for her. There were certain creatures that could not walk between the heavily warded wall without an invite. This guard, having been caught off-guard by her appearance, wanted to ensure that she wasn't anything dangerous. Faye could understand why he did this. She might do the same in his position. After all, it was his duty to keep his town was protected. However, even knowing this, she couldn't help the twinge of resentment she felt.

Having been played with by two of the monsters known as Aed only a few days before, Faye was sick of deceit and of tests. She was tired of people and monsters trying to decide on what she was. Still, if she avoided causing trouble, she could be in and out of this place quickly. What he was doing was smart. It wasn't like she was going to trust anyone she ran into during her visit either. So she shouldered her pack and walked through the gate, aware of the eyes on her as she went.

Once she had reached the other side the keeper closed the gate and climbed down to meet her. He was pleasant, and seemed to feel some bit sheepish for having tested her, so he gave her a silver broach. This was much more valuable that her earring, but he insisted she take it despite her protests.

He told her that their town had two Healers, and elderly married couple. However, he needed to return to watching the gate so he couldn't take her there. Instead he pointed her in the general direction of the Healers' house and wished her well. Faye thanked him and walked in the directions way he pointed.

Every now and then she stopped and glanced up, overly aware of the empty sky.