If Only - Short Story

I looked around the dark cell. I had really messed things up bad this time. It wasn't my fault. I didn't plan any of it. Ace said it would be fun. We wouldn't get in trouble if we were careful. Yeah, he totally listened to his own advice. I wanted to hit myself for being so idiotic in trusting him. I swear this was a set up; they wanted me to get into trouble.

I just wanted people to take me seriously. I wanted to be recognised. In the sixteen years of my existence no one had seen me as anything but the little redhead with the green eyes. Most of them called me Darren Pierce's little sister. They didn't know me as Riley I was just the hottest new rock star's sibling.

People were surprised that we were actually related. Look up the definition of 'polar opposites' there's probably a picture of us. If I was night, he'd be day. Metaphorically speaking, I was living in his shadow. Not anymore though.

Archie 'Ace' Thomas, the resident 'bad boy', made it his mission to get some spotlight thrown my way. I knew what he was like; he had a reputation for causing trouble. I don't know why I let myself get involved with him. Then again he did have great manipulation skills.

I remember being shocked that he'd actually came to the library to find me. Ace Thomas in a place designated for studying? The very thought was almost laughable. So imagine my surprise when he'd asked me to meet him at the local diner, Kate's. He told me that he wanted to boost my image. It would be a rousing challenge for him to turn the good girl bad. Despite my numerous reservations, I reluctantly agreed.

Two months down the line and look where my unusually adventurous attitude left me. In jail.

Well at least people would definitely know I wasn't the same girl I once was. Undoubtedly business at the rumour mill would be booming within a few short hours

Darren Pierce's baby sister getting caught in the back room of an over 21's club would be a huge scandal. Not that I had actually touched anything. I had a few drinks that Ace got me with his fake ID but nothing as bad as the others. Ace was the one who should have been taken in. He took everything possible. It wouldn't amaze me if he was lying in a gutter somewhere.

Maybe being in a cell wasn't actually the worst case scenario.

"Pierce," an officer barked opening the door. "Your brother bailed you out."

I leapt to my feet thanking the heavens I didn't have to stay in this musty, damp hole all night. I adjusted my ruffled dress dreading how my make-up now looked. I brushed what was now a tangled mass of matted flames from away my face.

Somehow I'd lost a shoe as well as my dignity.

I looked at my brother sheepishly as I stepped out, "Hey, Darren."

"Honestly, Riley," he wasn't angry, I could tell. He was disappointed.

I met his chocolate eyes pleadingly, "Sorry. It wasn't my fault. Ace said-"

He cut me off, raising his hand, "I warned you about him. Fucking hell, Riley! Do you ever listen?"

"He said nothing bad would happen!" my voice cracked as it rose a couple octaves. I felt tears well in my eyes.

"We'll talk about this a home," his tone was ice cold. There was no persuading him on this.

I swallowed the lump forming in my throat, "But Dad will kill me!"

He refused to meet my gaze running a hand through his already mussed brown hair, "Should have thought of that before getting involved with that Thomas kid then."

I followed him out to his car keeping my head down. There were flashes camera flashes.  Great, I thought, that will be online in a nanosecond.

I should have stayed invisible. My life had been tipped upside down ever since I met Ace Thomas.

"What happened, Rile?" he asked me once we were sat in his silver convertible.

"We just had a few drinks. Some fun, you know?" I mumbled. "Ace introduced me to some of his friends. They were all college students and taking stuff. I didn't touch any of it. The cops came and Ace disappeared."

He closed his eyes drawing in a deep breath, "Okay. Where is he now?"

I shrugged, "Who knows?"

"You called him?" he queried.

I rolled my eyes, "I doubt he would have been much help. I called you, idiot."

"Hey, no need for name calling," he snapped. "We have to go find him, Riley."

I rang my hands in my lap. Was it worth it? He left me stranded; I could teach him a lesson. The good-for-nothing rat betrayed me.

What's the saying? A leopard can't change its spots. Something like that. I had hoped to clean up his act, I guess not.

"What club?"

I racked my brain for a name. I could see a bright neon sign in my head but the wording was hazy. Maybe it began with an 'E' or was it an 'F'? The more I thought about it the further I was from an answer.

"East or west side?" he sighed. He was driving at sixty in a thirty zone.

I ignored his speeding, "East."

He took a sharp turn. The next few seconds of my life are a blur.

There was a screech. Darren slammed his breaks. A truck horn. Screams. Bright light.

Nothing.

I don't know what happened exactly in those last few moments. I closed my eyes then I remember waking up in a hospital bed.

My parents didn't yell. They were bawling like children. My mother look so fragile it was almost as if she was about to fall apart.

Darren was nowhere to be seen. Something was wrong.

My brain tried to fill in the gaps. The car, it crashed in to a truck. It hit the driver's side first. Darren would be in a worse condition than me.

"Where's Darren?" I whispered hoarsely. I felt as if there were a thousand needles in my chest. 

Mum began to sob harder. I had never seen her like that before. She didn't cry ever. No matter what happened, growing up, I had never seen her shed a single tear.

"Dad?" I looked to my father for an answer. Even couldn't hold back the tears.

My father, an ex-military man, reduced to a blubbering wreck. The feeling of pure dread washed over me.

He shook his head, "He's gone."

The words hung in the air. My brain would not process them.

My brother couldn't be gone because he was with me not long ago.

Dad tried to explain to me. Darren didn't make it out the wreckage alive. It was quick. He didn't suffer. But it was too late to save him.

I let my father's words sink in.

Then it hit me, if he wasn't with me he wouldn't have crashed.

If I wasn't so foolish, he'd be at home. No one would have gotten hurt.

If only I hadn't made such a stupid and reckless decision.

If only this wasn't all my fault.