Chapter 49 - Four All Over Again

Paul arrived a couple days after and he went straight to the hospital. A day after Paul arrived, the doctor said that her vitals were improving but they are still going to do further scans to make sure there is no internal bleeding that they missed. Fortunately, her neurologist also said that she should wake up soon.

     Louise has been checking in with Richard day in, day out. Though he was a bit angry at her sister, Paul couldn't help but feel bad because she couldn't come home.

      It's Paul's 2nd day in the Philippines, spending the spring break of his senior year in the hospital at the bedside of his mom.

     Richard fell asleep holding Rachel's hand and Paul was on the sofa bed on his phone when he heard Rachel cough. He looked at her. Rachel started making sounds. He got up, "Pa.. Papa! Mama's.. I think she's choking on her tube! I'm gonna call the doctor!"

     Richard jolted up, "Oh my-- Rachel, Rachel..." he held her hand, "Hold on, okay? The doctors are coming." She kept moving, and coughing because of the tube down her throat that helped her breathe, "I know, my love, I know. Hang tight, the doctor is coming. Just hold my hand, okay?"

     The doctor came in, "Sir, labas muna kayo."

     "Hindi ko siya ii--"

     "Sir, please step outside so I can do my job." The doctor said firmly.

      He kissed Rachel's hand and let it go.
--------------------------------------------------

     He called Louise right when he got out.

     "Hello, Pa? Ano, kumusta?"

     "Anak, the doctors is with her kasi.. I don't know, she looked like she was choking on her tube.. Yung tube that helps her breathe daw.

     "Oh my gosh, thank you. Thank you, Lord.

     "Anak, what do you mean?

     "It's the tube that was put after her surgery when she was still unconscious. It was placed because she couldn't breathe that well on her own.

     "So what does that mean?"

     "Papa, she's fighting the tube because she's awake and breathing on her own. That's why it looks like she's choking kasi nakalagay 'yun sa may throat niya," she answered.

     "Sir, okay na po si Ma'am," one of the nurses said.

     "Go ahead, Papa. Mama's gonna be okay. Her voice cracked, Please tell her I'm sorry and I love her.. so much." She hung up the phone.

     Paul pat his shoulder, "Papa, let's go?"

     They went inside the room and saw a nurse holding a cup of water with a straw to Rachel's mouth.

     "Doc, is she okay? My daughter said that she was fighting the tube because now she can breathe on her own."

     The doctor smiled a bit, "Well, she's right. She's a great doctor, she talked to me last night. Well, maiwan ko na muna kayo. She's stable right now and I'll check back in later during the evening rounds, okay?"

     "Thank you, Doc."

     He sat at Rachel's bedside, "Rach..

     She looked at him and a tear fell from her eye. "Sorry," she muttered.

     "Shh... Just rest, okay?" He kissed her forehead, "I love you, " He whispered.

     Paul approached her bed, tears pooling in his eyes, "Hi, Mama."