Chapter 49 : A Talk With The Director

I slept at Audrey's apartment last night and of course my mood became fine again.

Last night, both of us ate what Audrey prepared, which she said was for me.

We talked about what happened to us for the past weeks and sadly, Audrey looked really tired and I was one of the reasons why.

I'm such a prick.

When we woke up this morning, she told me that she's going to talk to the director about what he was planning to do, which was to change her voice in the film. In that moment, I knew I had to do something about it but I don't want to tell her that I'm going with her because I want to surprise her.

I just told her that I have to go home and rest.

That's why here I am standing in front of my bathroom mirror, trying to look threatening as much as possible.

For some reason, I felt like going to war at this point.

When I'm finally satisfied to what I look like, I grabbed my car keys and walked out of my apartment.

~~~~~~

Before going in the director's building, I put on my shades in a dramatic way and cracked my knuckles like I'm about to have a bar fight.

I took out a harsh breath and made my way in.

I lied to the man behind the desk that I was one of the actors in the film and I'm glad that he believed me. Probably because I looked intimidating.

He then told me the room number of the director and I quickly thanked him.

After a couple minutes, I finally arrived in front of the door. I could hear Audrey's voice arguing with a man.

When I knocked on the door, the quarreling stopped then the door swung open.

"Hello," I greeted.

"And who are you?" The man asked. He looked like a man that I kind of expected for a director to be --- flat slicked back hair, thin, and probably in his late 40's.

I saw Audrey stood up from her chair and when she saw me, her eyes widened.

I smirked and pulled off my shades slowly, which caused Audrey to giggle a bit.

"My name is James Dean, Audrey's boyfriend," I simply said.

"Oh. My name is Stanley Donen and I'm a director."

"I know," I simply replied.

"Come on in," he said and moved back to give me space to walk in.

I smiled and went to sit beside Audrey, who still look stunned.

"Okay. Let's go back to what we were talking," Stanley said when he sat down.

"We just realized that your voice was rather quiet and soft and not suited for the film."

When I glanced at Audrey, it was obvious that she was  extremely frustrated and that's why I spoke up.

"Excuse me sir, forgive me for chiming in however as far as I know, Audrey played the role of Jo Stockton, who according to your script was a shy bookstore employee who turned into a model."

Stanley's face turned into a surprise one.

I continued, "In case you didn't know, when Audrey and I were in my hometown, she told me that she's going to practice her role and that's why I helped her. But before practicing, I need to review the script first and I instantly imagined a soft singing voice."

Stanley slumped back to his chair and said, "You're right. However, as you can see, Mr. Dean. All throughout the film, her voice was still the same even though her character already developed into a confident lady," Stanley replied to me.

I felt Audrey held my hand and gave it a squeeze as if asking me to stop.

I can't lose.

"Is that so? Listen. I am an actor and that's why I know how films work. Yes you are right about characters developing into someone better but just like in real life, even if you already changed into a good or bad person, there will always be a dominant side about you and that's what you will carry. Besides, it's actually an asset. In Jo's case, her shyness is the dominant one and honestly, it's charming and a soft voice is definitely right for the character. That's what the audience will remember throughout the film."

The room became more silent and I could see that Stanley was thinking.

"You are a wise man, you know?", Stanley spoke.

He then continue, "Alright then. I guess it's settled. I won't change Audrey's singing voice."

I grinned and heard Audrey laugh.

We both stood up and went to thank Stanley before going out.

So long as we got out, Audrey clung into me and gave me a tight hug.

"Woah Audrey, are you alright?" I asked with a smile.

"Never been better, thanks to you!" She exclaimed.

I hugged her back and kissed her lips.

"I love you," she said.

"I love you too," I replied happily.

I grabbed her hand and we made our way to the elevator.