HOSTILE

I was done on my exam on my World History 402. I stood up, walked in the middle aisle and gave my test paper to Mr. Perez, our proctor.

I was on my way out to the door when I heard Mr. Perez called my name. Uh oh! What was it? Did I miss any pages?

"Ms. Dela Cruz, please report at the principal office after your morning period today," he said.

This caused murmuring sounds in the class which stopped when he said, "Quiet class, and pay attention on your papers. 10 minutes left."

This made more hurried murmurs.

Mr. Perez then turned to me and gave me my Term Paper Proposal Folder.

Why did he have this? I submitted it to Mrs. Fider this morning.

"Mrs. Fider endorsed your paper to me," he nodded to the folder in my hands. "And I have posted your subject in my Educational blog this morning."

What? He has a blog? He have square specs and looked like he was living in a museum but he has a blog?

"There was a Recommendation for your Research," he said smiling his crooked smile. "The Dean will explain."

"Yes Sir," was all I managed to say.

I was puzzled on my way to Dean Santos' office. Did he say Recommendation?

I knocked two times at the door.

"Come in."

"Good morning, Dean Santos," I greeted as I went in.

"Good morning, Ms. Dela cruz, have a seat," he welcomed me.

I offered my folder to him with both of my two hands.

"So, this was your Term Paper?" he asked and browsed. "Hmmm."

I was just too confused to say or ask anything so I let him read.

The door opened and Mr. Perez came in.

"Good morning," he greeted.

"Dean Santos, this is my recommendation letter for Ms. Dela Cruz's Term Paper," he said giving the principal a folder of his own.

The Dean pored over it, nodded one too many times, smiled and looked at me.

"Congratulations, Ms. Dela Cruz, this trip is approved."

"Approved?" I ask.

"Mr. Perez here have submitted your Term Paper to a Research Institute Body in Japan and they have asked to commission your paper and support you in an Exchange Student Program."

What? What? What?

Hold on? Me?

Mr. Perez broke into his crooked smile again.

"Congratulations," he said reaching for my hand.

I reached back and shook his hand. And then I turned to the Dean's hand too.

"So, Mr. Perez will advise you on the details of your trip so that you can prepare. Your flight, I believe will be next week," he said nodding to Mr. Perez. "Once again, Congratulations and the school will be looking forward for your successful return."

Wait, what? I didn't think I said yes to this already.

"Please excuse us," Mr. Perez said.

The Dean gave Mr. Perez the folder back after signing on it and then we were out the door.