Will to Power by Friedrich Nietzsche

"This will is the most fundamental aspect of reality - more fundamental even than being."

Every single human being on this planet - that ambitious, plain housewife longing to be the center of attraction in their neighborhood, that average, young boy seeking the attention of the most popular girl in school and even that poor, old lady begging for alms on the street - ALL of us want the BEST things in life. Tons of money. Designer shoes and clothes. Fine dining. POWER.

The will to power is what makes us human. It is embedded in our DNA to continuously want the best of everything - to be on top of the world no matter what it takes. This ideology has its positive and negative effects to the society. What could they possibly be?

First of all, there is nothing wrong with wanting the best for yourself in order for you to live your life to the fullest, but we must all keep in mind that the end does not justify the means. If being at the peak of your existence will cost your morality to be compromised, then this is where we draw the line.

One could say, "All is fair in love and war." I beg to disagree. Life is unfair. We are all created equal, but we are treated unequally. The acceptance of the fact that life is no walk in the clouds will take you one step closer to achieve that will to power because your eyes are opened to the reality of life.

Suffering will constantly be there, and we can never escape from the problems we experience every day. Face this obstacle in your life right now before it accumulates into a bulk of bullshit and become a grade-A pain in your ass.

Second, such psychological behavior of achieving that will to power causes a tension among the people where pressure and competition might force you to let down your guard by pulling them down so you could push yourself up.

This is where unhealthy relationships start to develop because of that constant notion to let everything be about you and forget everyone else. You might be ignorant about this truth in all of us, but there is nothing we can do about it.

There will most certainly be times where you just do not give a fuck about other people because we seek how we can make things (even people) benefit us the most. We see it anywhere, anytime. Husbands and wives quarrelling. "Friends" gossiping. Competition at work. Pressure in school.

The key is that we must not let this will to power consume our humanity. There is the good in all of us which we must actuate as we want what is best for ourselves.

Lastly, this will to power in all of us shall only be referred to as such when we use it not only for self-perfection, but also for the betterment of society. Something will be labeled as good or bad depending on the way we act, and we all know that with great power comes great responsibility.

I believe that the human person can never be satisfied. We keep on wanting more, more, more until there is none of it is left, but we squeeze unto it tighter that we lose what we already have. Contentment is a virtue. I am not saying that if you are poor, you must remain poor in your life.

What I am saying is that, it is going to take a lot of hard work, not words because what is your will if you do not act upon it? When you have everything which you thought would make you feel fulfilled, will you really feel that way? The things on this earth which would make you "happy" are temporary. These things will fail you. People will fail you.

One can only be content when the joy of the Lord is in your heart. Even when not having anything means you already have everything when you have God. Invite Him in your heart today.