Julia stiles = kat stratford

Remember the big, pivotal, titular moment in 10 Things I Hate About You, when Julia Stiles’ Kat Stratford reads the poem she wrote about Patrick (played by the very much missed Heath Ledger) and breaks down into tears (which leads most people watc...

Remember the big, pivotal, titular moment in 10 Things I Hate About You, when Julia Stiles’ Kat Stratford reads the poem she wrote about Patrick (played by the very much missed Heath Ledger) and breaks down into tears (which leads most people watching to break down into tears)? It’s long been rumored that those tears weren’t just the result of acting, and in an interview with Cosmopolitan, Stiles confirmed that they in fact were not:

They were not intentional. On some level I knew that I was supposed to be somewhat emotional, because when we did the table read I remember I just said the poem, and I could have been reciting the phone book. But [when it came to filming] I never expected that I was going to start crying. I don’t know why I did, whether it connected to something going on at the time, or if I was just overwhelmed by the whole experience of making my first big movie.

Even if she didn’t have something crazy going on in her life during shooting, we can see why she’d get emotional during the scene. It’s an emotional moment! It’s barely possible to watch it without shedding at least a few tears — we can’t imagine what it would be like to have to actually recite the poem.

10 things i hate about you julia stiles
Touchstone / Giphy
Stiles also talked a bit about her 10 Things co-stars, adding that watching their careers unfold has been somewhat “bittersweet” after Ledger’s death, but shooting the movie was a “special experience.”